PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions.

cjemc
27-08-15, 10:38
If I go to my GP and ask for mild/moderate tranquilser that acts in the same way alcohol does then will he be able to prescribe or recommend something for me?
And secondly assuming I have an unbelieveably sensimotor OCD disorder then what is the medication of choice for this revolting affliction?

Thanks y'all. X

Merle
28-08-15, 22:38
Firstly you cannot request mild/moderate tranquilsers without the doctor examining you and asking why you have requested such, The doctor will not prescribe medication without consultation and examination.

Your second question, I do not have enough to answer.

AnxietyDJ
29-08-15, 01:14
As Merle said, you will never be able to simply go to see your GP and request medications - whatever the problem, whether mild or severe - without a full examination and their recommended prescription. Also, in my opinion, I would also say it is highly unlikely that a GP will hand out tranquilliser type medication - if they ever did - without having exhausted many other potential options first.

Take care and feel better soon :)

MyNameIsTerry
29-08-15, 05:19
NICE guidance shows what GP's are expected to follow:

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG31/chapter/1-Guidance

You will see it is SSRI's. Treatment resistant cases have additional drug options lower down.

Benzo's are always used sparingly and/or to offset side effects when starting meds like SSRI/SNRI's. They won't give them long term normally and you would be talking more a psychiatrist for that as a GP is very unlikely to do it.

There are other meds out there outside of this list may be a consideration like e.g. Pregabalin, which some people feel stoned on but you are not going to be able to request a med just for that because the emphasis is on recovery, not medicating you out of your mind for life.

How often do you do this wretching? Sensorimotor OCD is more commonly blinking, breathing, swallowing, etc so by it's nature it is no stop all day long. Are you wretching all the time? If not, it could be a compulsion so a different OCD theme. What did your GP say about this? You seem to chase for a physical illness though and that brings in non OCD disorders which have similiar traits like the Somatoform Disorders. This is why it would be useful to understand exactly why you start to wretch and how often it happens as well as what your GP has diagnosed it based on.

Fishmanpa
29-08-15, 05:26
Meds in this case, be it SSRIs or tranquilizers such as those in the benzo class can have very negative or even dangerous side effects or reactions when combined with alcohol. Based on your history of alcohol abuse, I would totally steer clear until you are able to kick the alcohol.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
29-08-15, 05:30
Meds in this case, be it SSRIs or tranquilizers such as those in the benzo class can have very negative or even dangerous side effects or reactions when combined with alcohol. Based on your history of alcohol abuse, I would totally steer clear until you are able to kick the alcohol.

Positive thoughts

GP decision. Many people drink on certain meds like SSRI's, of which are in the NICE guidance. So, I think the GP needs to be very clear on the alcohol issue and make their decision from there, That might mean a referral off to another service. They could advise dealing with the alcohol as the first port of call but since this self medicating is tied to a OCD compulsion, it isn't going to be going away without tackling the OCD so that is going to mean therapy really. BUT if the medical professionals do decide the patient is severe enough to warrant medication, I'm sure they understand the risks with alcohol.