PDA

View Full Version : 20 and worried about heart disease

Jamie123
27-08-15, 21:54
I am quite a bit overweight and have been doing things to change this but I recently read that damage already done to the body cannot be reversed just limited which has me worried as I am scared I have done irreparable damage which will lead me to an early grave. I am worried about heart disease as I have previously had numbness and tingling in my arms and also my arm feels strange like there is a dull ache which has me worried my arteries are becoming blocked as it feels a bit like that but this ache usually happens when I am stressed.I also rarely get chest pains mostly also when stressed.Also I read on here that if the white moon under your nail disappears it can point to heart disease which mine have. Please Help. Is there any way to reduce or reverse the damage done to my heart?

Fishmanpa
27-08-15, 22:00
Absolutely, positively, you can reverse cardio vascular issues with exercise and proper diet. At 20, regardless of your level of fitness at this moment, you're in no danger of heart disease. You have the opportunity to keep it that way if you start taking care of yourself now.

If this fear you have is real, take what I'm saying to "heart".... eat properly, exercise, don't smoke and abstain from partaking in drink. For many anxiety sufferers, alcohol and anxiety don't mix and can have a negative reaction to many drugs used to treat it.

This is coming from someone who did the opposite of that and has heart disease.

Positive thoughts

Jamie123
27-08-15, 22:08
Thanks for the reply. You seem genuinely a very nice person. I am so sad to hear this. You are doing a world of good for a lot of people on this forum. You are truly a wonderful person I truly hope you are well.

2Anxious
27-08-15, 22:11
It takes years and years and years and years (you get the picture?) and years to develop coronary artery disease. Even if you have a strong family history of heart disease, you're still far too young. I went through all this. I read so much about the heart it's not even funny, so I hope I can save you some time and tell you to forget about blocked arteries.

However, heart disease is a very real threat in later life and you should be taking steps now to prevent it.

Also it is reversible. Look up Dr Caldwell Esselstyn on youtube and watch his lectures. He's an amazing guy.

Jamie123
27-08-15, 22:13
Thanks will definitely look over his lectures.

Emilym80
28-08-15, 04:23
I second that, Dr Esselstyn was a cardiologist at the Cleveland clinic for many years (and possibly still is) and was able to completely reverse many cases of heart disease/CVD/atherosclerosis purely through dietary and lifestyle changes. If you eat a certain way and don't smoke (etc) it's basically impossible for the majority of people to develop heart disease, regardless of family history. His contention is that it is a 'food-borne illness' and I think his work is evidence of that. Take care :)