PDA

View Full Version : How has anxiety affected your relationships?

missgatsby
28-08-15, 06:46
I thought this might be a significant subject.

I have had anxiety issues for a long time, but I dated a very stoic individual awhile back who didn't get it at all. First, he thought he was causing all of my issues. When I would try to be honest with him about my depression, he would always act like I was going through some sort of phase, and that I would "snap out of it." He always had this attitude that he knew more about me than I did, so communication was pretty much shot.
Anyway, the way he acted about all this DID end up building on my emotional instabilities, and eventually "broke up 'for now'" or until I could get a hold of myself.

My current relationship is much healthier, though I know it is very tough for my boyfriend at times. Some days are so bad that I stay in the bedroom in tears all day. He is such a trooper to be willing to handle it.

I often feel guilty because I know I'm not the easiest to be around... I try to make the happy times good enough to balance it out.

Anyone else?

MyNameIsTerry
28-08-15, 07:07
Yeah, definately. I'm pretty lucky with my GF as she went through depression after a traumatic event years ago. I knew that before my anxiety. I know she doesn't properly understand anxiety but she understands some of the common factors mental health issues impact on such as self confidence, self worth and ultimately self esteem. She went through hers without any therapy of talking to anyone so she lack an understanding of a lot of things I have learnt but she is supportive and very very patient.

Due to our living arrangements (we don't live together) it does mean we don't see each other much so stay in contact in other ways inbetween. This is where my OCD plays a big part because I live at night and she works long days so is not around at night.

MrAndy
28-08-15, 08:33
it affected my marriage in a very negative way,my wife doesnt understand anxiety and got fed up of dealing with it

ricardo
28-08-15, 08:43
Not the easiest of questions to answers.

There are a lot of ifs involved.

Being married or living with a partner is totally different to being in a relationship where you live apart as we all know.

Then how much does ones particular mental health problem firstly affect you and then subsequently your partner.

Can you do everything together or not.

On balance if you are in a long term relationship it is very difficult for both parties and even possibly children if there are any.

Nearly every person I have spoken to in a long term relationship says their partner never ever really understands what we go through and at the same time it is not always easy for them to cope and unfortunately in some cases the partner leaves.
Our own doctors generally don't understand so that makes things even more difficult.

pulisa
28-08-15, 09:03
I think it depends on what you expect from a relationship/marriage.

ricardo
28-08-15, 09:09
I think it depends on what you expect from a relationship/marriage.

I expect my wife to support me financially for evermore and be available for nooky on demand :) (naturally it is a dream lol )

MrAndy
28-08-15, 09:18
^ this :D

Greenman50
28-08-15, 09:31
Only i work but cant at the moment and no sick pay :weep:

I dont work we all go under its killing me this anxiety and depression i doubt my buisness can last , lets see how strong the marriage is when we have no money in a few months

Fishmanpa
28-08-15, 13:22
My 1st wife (that alone tells you how it affected my relationship) suffered from depression which manifested itself into hoarding. After 14 years, I left (divorced).

I tried my best to help but treating and healing has to start with the individual. Before meeting my 2nd wife, I dated several women who suffered from some kind of mental challenges (anxiety, depression etc.). It's a lot more common than you think and difficult at best to deal with. From those experiences and having personally dealt with depression and "scanxiety" due to my health, I have a broader perspective and can recognize behaviors and patterns the mental illness exhibits.

Positive thoughts