PDA

View Full Version : GABA aminobutyric acid

Hazelnut
28-08-15, 13:16
Has anyone had any experience with taking a GABA aminobutyric acid supplement?

According to a study I read (can't post links yet, I'm too new :)):

The effect of orally administrated gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) on relaxation and immunity during stress has been investigated in humans. Two studies were conducted. The first evaluated the effect of GABA intake by 13 subjects on their brain waves. Electroencephalograms (EEG) were obtained after 3 tests on each volunteer as follows: intake only water, GABA, or L-theanine. After 60 minutes of administration, GABA significantly increases alpha waves and decreases beta waves compared to water or L-theanine. These findings denote that GABA not only induces relaxation but also reduces anxiety. The second study was conducted to see the role of relaxant and anxiolytic effects of GABA intake on immunity in stressed volunteers. Eight acrophobic subjects were divided into 2 groups (placebo and GABA). All subjects were crossing a suspended bridge as a stressful stimulus. Immunoglobulin A (IgA) levels in their saliva were monitored during bridge crossing. Placebo group showed marked decrease of their IgA levels, while GABA group showed significantly higher levels. In conclusion, GABA could work effectively as a natural relaxant and its effects could be seen within 1 hour of its administration to induce relaxation and diminish anxiety. Moreover, GABA administration could enhance immunity under stress conditions.

MyNameIsTerry
28-08-15, 22:42
I've been told you need 10 posts add a link and if you answer the question i just asked on your other thread, you will one off. Add a quick post to this if you can't make 10 and then edit it to add the link because it would be helpful to see where this study comes from.

Hazelnut
28-08-15, 23:48
:)

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

Here it is! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16971751

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

Funnily enough I just read your post about GABA on a different thread regarding Valerian root. I didn't realise it is banned in the UK. I know I haven't decided whether or not I should try it yet, but I could have been in a bit of a predicament as I'm visiting at Christmas to see my family! :roflmao:

rsanchez
06-09-15, 19:02
This is an interesting study. I've read a lot that it's not supposed to cross the blood brain barrier but even if it's not to, here's a study that shows an actual relaxation effect.

I actually have some gaba supplement, but go figure, I've been too anxious to take it for fear of adverse side effects, haha.

Hazelnut
06-09-15, 19:14
I have read the same things - that it cannot cross the blood brain barrier, and yet the study seems to show otherwise, as do the many reviews on GABA supplements. I'm really not sure what to think.

I haven't tried it myself (only been drinking chamomile to help me sleep), but have read about flushing, temporary difficulties with breathing, and an itchy crawling sensation in one's veins if the dosage is too high, which I can imagine is quite unnerving! :ohmy:

Some of the reviews I read also suggest that one can build a tolerance to it.

rsanchez
07-09-15, 06:38
I tried a small doses to begin with. I do feel like it made me sleepy and like it gave me a slight headache. A little less anxious too, but I don't know how much of that was placebo. Will try a slightly larger dose tomorrow.

MyNameIsTerry
07-09-15, 07:34
I used to take it as a bodybuilding supplement many years before my anxiety. I found very quickly it made my face flush (but things like niacin do that too yet we get that in our food and other supplements) and I did have some breathlessness but it wasn't uncomfortable. You get used to that anyway.

If those are symptoms of your anxiety, you may react worse to them at first but that will be the anxiety taking it further than the GABA does.

I can remember that it made me feel kind of happy & positive even before I hit the weights and that was all had taken.

It is banned in the UK but it was because of a load of kneejerk reactions by our government where they banned substances used by athletes and GABA was linked to the date rape drug GHB so it got scooped up and banned. We can get it past Customs over here as they don't seem very bothered and our verison of your FDA, the MHRA, have even replied to people over the years stating they aren't interested in personal use quantities and genuine products, just fakes and volumes (but this was a statement a few years back and could change any time).

As a visitor to the UK, you will probably be ok since it's like bringing in medication as long as it's not classed as a controlled drug (which it isn't) but even then someone can bring in Benzo's which are and as long as you can back it up with a prescribing doctor, Customs wouldn't have a problem. I'm not sure what they would do with GABA since it's not a Prescription Only Medicine (POM) and it doesn't actually appear on the list of banned substances. GHB does but thats controlled as opposed to what we have as a Schedule 4 which covers things like POM's, steroids, DHEA, etc. So, I suspect GABA would be a Schedule 4 but without asking the Home Office, it's impossible to say.

---------- Post added at 07:19 ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 ----------

There is another study here that also mentions use of L-Arginine as well as GABA + L-Arginine. Bare in mind that this was an injection into the "body cavity" so avoided the complexity of the GI tract:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11849830

Blood-brain barrier permeability (BBB) to the inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA) was studied in rats following intraperitoneal (i.p) injections of GABA alone and in combination with L-Arginine (L-Arg). Administration of GABA (600 mg/kg body weight [b. wt.]) alone increased brain GABA concentration (33%, p < 0.01), when compared to untreated rats and administration of L-Arg (2000 mg/kg b. wt.) alone also increased GABA concentration (65%, p < 0.01) in the brain. Moreover, GABA + L-Arg treated brains showed a fourfold increase in GABA level (383.3%, p < 0.01) when compared to controls. Dose-dependent increase in nitric oxide production was observed 10 min after i.p injections of L-Arg (400, 800, 1000, and 2000 mg/kg b. wt.) and a peak nitric oxide (NO) production was observed at the dose level of 2000 mg/kg b. wt. On the other hand, administration of GABA failed to increase NO production in the brain. Rats pretreated (10 min) with a nonspecific nitric oxide synthase (NOS) inhibitor N(omega)-nitro-L-Arginine methyl ester (L-NAME, 50 mg/kg b. wt.) completely blocked the production of NO induced by L-Arg. In addition, L-NAME attenuated GABA entry into the brain after the administration of GABA alone or in combination with L-Arg. We conclude that high NO concentrations in the brain following L-Arg administration may increase the permeability of BBB to peripheral GABA.

---------- Post added at 07:34 ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 ----------

This is a useful paper that is referenced on another drug forum:

http://www.phyllisbronsonphd.com/Graphics/BronsonGABA.pdf

They make a suggestion for preventing side effects of GABA ingestion in here that might help you out.

They also try a mixture in another case. I noticed when doing some reading on drugs forums that there was reference to use of magnesium chelates of one type, niacin, theanine, etc to assist in this process. It was suggested that some of these help it cross the BBB BUT it's a point to research further as opposed to take for granted from someone else's own research.

I've seen a few references to how the BBB can be less permeable. Originally it was noted that this was due to intentionally damaging it for experimentation (rats, mice, etc) but on other forums there are links to some practitioners (I haven't checked these out) suggesting it can be the case with various disorder, medication use, etc which sounds a bit like the "leaky gut" issue to me as it was about how a larger GABA molecule can cross due to this permeability problem due to inflammation...and anxiety is about inflammation, so perhaps worth some further research?

Hazelnut
08-09-15, 00:04
rsanchez: Thanks for letting me know! Would be curious to see how your second dose went?

MyNameIsTerry: Wow, that's a lot of research. I can't profess to know too much about biochemistry, but do find the studies and their results quite intriguing. More intriguing is your personal reaction to taking GABA - that you recall feeling happier when you took it. Have you considered trying it again, or are you using a different supplement/medication? I have been trying chamomile capsules and while I think they do make me feel calmer, I think their effects are limited. My anxiety was making it difficult to fall asleep last night (that sensation where I keep "forgetting" to breathe before dropping off) and the capsules did do the trick. :)

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-15, 07:04
Hi Hazelnut,

I thought about it but was put off by the BBB stuff. That and the issue with it being banned in the UK, hence it would mean ordering and hoping Customs don't spot it and seize it.

I have thought about using Taurine too as this does pass the BBB and can be converted into GABA. The trouble with Taurine though is that it is used all around the body so I think you would have to dose up until you find it affecting GABA.

I am mostly playing around with magnesium, vitamin D3, milk thistle, turmeric and a few other things at the moment though.

I have wondering about chamomile. I've drank it in tea before (with the help of honey!) but I've seen the capsules and wondered if they are any good. That issue with the breathing control is common and once you become more relaxed in general, it wilkl disappear so it's good to see these helped with that which proves they must have caused a relaxation effect so that you didn't feel the need for control. I've got some more tea so I think I will get brewing as I could do with something like that sometimes when my blips come along.

If you took a GABA supplement and felt how I did, there is no way that is placebo effect. I was happy within a couple of minutes and it was very different to the rather neutral mood I was in before taking it. It was also many years before my anxiety started and I was taking it as a sports supplement so was only interested in that element, not anything to do with mood.