PDA

View Full Version : Can propranolol make you feel weird - does it stop?

Lozzianne
28-08-15, 15:39
I'm on day three of propranolol for ectopic heartbeats and anxiety. The first two days I only took half what I was meant to because I have health anxiety and I was on high alert for anaphylaxis haha I'm sure most of you know what I mean!

But today I took 40mg and I felt really weird, like dreamy and anxious. It made me emotional and I ended up crying and I felt like a total tw*t. Do you think it was just my anxiety making me feel that way? If it is a side effect, will it wear off after a few days/weeks?

I still haven't taken the full dose as I'm meant to have 80mg but I wanted to do it gradually.

karenp
28-08-15, 18:14
I've only been on it a week and just feel tired. I am still getting anxiety first thing on a morning when I wake up but I'm going through benzo wd and Propranolol is helping I think.

Lozzianne
28-08-15, 20:56
What dose are you on? I think you're meant to take one at night so you don't get the 'drop' in the morning. So far I've only been taking the morning one, I'm too scared to double the dose.

I had to take some diazepam today to calm me down from the weird feeling. I was hoping I wouldn't need any more of those being on the propranolol instead.

Greenman50
28-08-15, 21:15
No idea but i asked for Propranolol at the Docs and just got an increase in citralapram .

My blood pressure is high despite meds surly this drug would have helped .

Seriously thinking of a New Doctor

karenp
28-08-15, 21:35
I don't know why your doctor didn't give you it Mel especially if you have high bp too. It's not harmful or addictive apparently either. I have had it a few times in the past as my doctors have always offered it as a compromise to benzos. I was recently in hospital and I had a panic attack and they gave me it there too.

Lozzianne
31-08-15, 16:53
Ok so I've been on it six days now, and at 80mg it just makes me feel really odd. It also gives me indigestion so I have decided to lower it to 20mg twice a day instead. I'm going to see how that goes for a week or so.

It's making me so confused as it's meant to help with anxiety but it's making mine worse.

karenp
31-08-15, 18:06
Oh no. It makes me feel really tired about lunch time.

ricardo
31-08-15, 19:50
This thread is proof that one pill doesn't fit all.

Propranolol is given for high BP and for anxiety.

lozzianne, there is no set rule as to when take the medication but to start you off on 40mg twice a day is a high starting dose but I am sure your dctor knows you well.

If you are getting unpleasant side effects don't hesitate to call your doctor.

pollynewsome
12-09-15, 14:26
I am currently taking 40mg first thing in morning for anxiety. Its far to say i feel dreadful everyday.. anxiety no better! Just feel rubbish.. was on it 2 years ago for simular and worked a treat. but this time just horrible.. Feel like a zombie 24/7!

karenp
15-09-15, 09:36
Hang on in there darl for now if you can or speak to your doctor. I am sleeping ok now or have done last few nights and feel less anxious now but have been going through benzo wd. I still feel tired though and have had some wierd dreams. My BP went a bit low at first too but it's gone up again now. I'm still on 3 x 40mg a day. Hope you feel better very soon xxxx

pollynewsome
24-09-15, 14:15
i cant work out if the 40mg is too much or too less..i uped it to 80mg 40in morn and 40 in aft and i felt so ill it was unbearable.. today i have just taken 20mg and dont feel as bad but still not right by any means.. going docs on Wed will tell doc.. i stopped alcohol for 9 days and caffine to say if they were influincing my feelings but made not difference at all. mind you i have the weekest of teas and 1 can of lager a day sometime not even that.. so i imagine that was never gunna make a difference but i tried.

How do you find taking 40mg a day and when do you take it. am lunch and pm.. doesnt it make you feel so so tired??
Thanks

dally
24-09-15, 17:24
Hi,
I've been prescribed it to take as required, one off
Or
Twice a day if I have an anxious spell.

My go told me 40 mg is the effective dose.
But, I hate taking any meds, so I have tried 10 mgs
Which does take the edge off
And 20 mg if I'm doing something a bit more stressful.

When I first took it, it did make me feel a little nausea a, so I took it with food and that sorted it.
I also felt a little tired too.
But
I never know if it's in my mind, or a side effect.
Either way, it does help, and it's better than taking Valium!!

karenp
29-09-15, 20:30
I have been on Prop a few weeks now and have zero side effects, not that I remember having any to start with, maybe a b it of tiredness. I don't find it all that helpful though.

Lozzianne
17-10-15, 14:46
Thanks for all of your replies. I just popped back to update - I talked to my GP and lowered the dose to 20mg twice a day. I felt much better on that and the side effects went away. I had to come off them for three days while I had a heart monitor on and then I realised how much calmer the propranolol has made me without realising.

I normally drink wine every day but on these I just don't have that need to. The only problem is after stopping for those days, I've had to start again and the side effects are back (feeling weird, not sleeping AT ALL) but I know they will ease off and the tablets do really help.