PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into work

jj_94
29-08-15, 10:02
I have a lot of troubles with self worth and my ability to do things(and what other people think of me). I was wondering if anyone has tips on getting back into work (I'ts going to most likely have to be in Hospitality), and increasing self worth in a work environment (especially starting out)? Would love some help with this, I have grown up in a family that believes in just dealing with situations your faced with so I'm not sure how to get through it.

A couple of weeks ago I did a job interview and trial and they said I did great; however, I started having severe panic attacks and didn't sleep AT ALL leading up to the first shifts, It got so bad I had to lie and say I was offered a full time job elsewhere.

I now have to go through the interview process again and trial if I'm lucky enough but I'm so worried about my anxiety and my ability to sleep when I'm anxious... Any tips on getting through the first stages of a job or high anxiety situations without medication??:blush:

Oosh
29-08-15, 19:30
Try and think about the goal and what good comes for you from getting the job.
What do you want for your future ? What pleasurable do you see in your future and how does this job act as a bridge to that ?

Going to work can often be a miserable, anxiety provoking thing to focus on. But the positive things that come from the job can be an enjoyable, motivating thing to focus on.

Also you could think about the likeable, rewarding people you might come into contact with whilst at your job. I have always been very socially anxious but even I have always found that one person in a work place that I've really liked and who has had a big impact on me.

So yeh, don't focus on what's to fear, give it more pleasurable meaning.

If you feel anxious you'll be ok. I had that fear of freeking out and not being able to leave too but it went after I was used to being there. Anxious moments always pass. Whatever happens you will be able to handle it. And you'll be too busy focusing on the positive meaning attached to your job to feel anxious anyway :shades:
Make it a second home. Make it homely. Make yourself comfortable there.

Penny19
29-08-15, 22:19
Sometimes you just have to push yourself in to doing things out of your comfort zone.....you never know, you might actually enjoy it, which will be a feel good factor and confidence boost.... It's like a fear of the unknown, if u don't go for it, u will never know. Can you get something called rescue remedy where you are? It's a natural remedy and it will help calm nerves. There are products that contain valerian that are said to help...but check with ur Dr if u take other meds