PDA

View Full Version : Dr Google!

ThePerfctSky
29-08-15, 10:34
So I have just got myself an appointment for my first CBT session and I am so proud of myself for admitting I really needed help. I just wondered if anyone had any tips on stopping my thumbs and fingers from asking Dr Google whats wrong with me.

How do I stop the urge to google everything I feel and see on my body because I know its the worst thing we can do but also I feel that it is an addiction and I just have to do it. Any tips on forcing myself not to? Whats worked for anyone else? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks for reading, take care everyone.

Hazelnut
29-08-15, 12:11
I'm right there with you. Fortunately the fear/anxiety I get from visiting Dr Google is enough to deter me when I remind myself that I never find anything good. It doesn't always work, but lately I've been doing well. Have you seen your doctor to rule out anything serious with most of the issues you are experiencing? That seemed to help me a fair bit.

My GP thinks I would also benefit from CBT so it's something I'll be addressing. If I were you, I would probably mention your issues with Dr Google at your session.

ThePerfctSky
29-08-15, 12:57
Hi thanks for your reply yeah I have been to my "real" GP alot lately it does help. I will mention my issues with googling when i go. I think most the time Google makes things seem worse than they are especially news articles it seems that they just like to scare people to death! That's how they get people to read it i suppose?!

Hazelnut
29-08-15, 13:17
I think it's just human nature to want reassurance. The saddest part about having anxiety is that it can make it challenging just to give your doctor a ring every time you get a new symptom for fear of looking crazy - at least in my case! So naturally Google is the next place to turn. :doh:

And if you're anything like me, I always find myself less anxious leaving the doctor's office only to have my anxiety start second-guessing everything later in the day. I'm sure we've all heard of family or friends walking away with a misdiagnosis! Then Dr Google lurks in the corner, offering to feed the beast that is anxiety lol.

I guess I've just come to a point where I ask myself if I'd feel any better succumbing to the need for reassurance only to find myself less reassured 99% of the time. I know how hard it is. :hugs:

sial72
29-08-15, 13:28
I change Dr Google for No More Panic. I type nomorepanic + whatever the symptom of the day is and I have never been on Google since x

ThePerfctSky
29-08-15, 15:17
Hazelnut, thats exactly what happened with me twice now I left the GPs feeling amazing until a few hours later thinking what if she missed it?! Its super frustrating and the worst thing is I know deep down its my HA that ruins the reassurance its just pure evil! Thanks again youve really helped :)

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

I change Dr Google for No More Panic. I type nomorepanic + whatever the symptom of the day is and I have never been on Google since x

Thats exactly what ive started to do. I feel that NMP is alot more "real" that Google I feel that Google just loves to push the bad things in your face whereas No More Panic there are real people who have better and more calming advice that dreaded Dr Google he always seems to misinterpret what you type in too, have you ever noticed that?! Thank you

Fishmanpa
29-08-15, 16:06

This is a great suggestion. That along with typing the word anxiety along with the symptom i.e. "numbness, anxiety". You'll get results, many of which are from this site.

The other way is much more difficult. You block it totally from your browser. There are tools in your browser (parental settings) that will block sites you don't want access to.

Positive thoughts

ThePerfctSky
29-08-15, 22:07
This is a great suggestion. That along with typing the word anxiety along with the symptom i.e. "numbness, anxiety". You'll get results, many of which are from this site.

The other way is much more difficult. You block it totally from your browser. There are tools in your browser (parental settings) that will block sites you don't want access to.

Positive thoughts

Thats another great idea thanks so much everyone I'm going to try stop googling from now on after all it makes everything seem much worse than it probably is!