PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety over doing simple everyday things

jadedreams
29-08-15, 19:51
Hey guys, I've been posting in the OCD forum for some of my issues with that, but figured I should start a topic on my issues with GAD.

Currently I'm having lots of problems feeling anxiety everyday, it can be over little things like doing household chores (dishes), going to the store and staying home alone. Or I can just be sitting at work and it will hit me. In fact in the mornings I usually wake up and have anxiety that I'm going to have anxiety that day.

I've never had it quite this bad before, in the past it was always centered around Health Anxiety. But the past few months it has changed and I'm struggling. I'm just so worried that this will never end and I won't be able to get past it, I feel like it is controlling my life and I hate that. I am going to work (was out 6 weeks) and doing the things I have to do, but that's about it. I have lost my joy and just feel I am facing a near constant fear - not sure why I am anxious over simple things that are not inherently dangerous. I am in counseling and currently my counselor has me working on trying to accept the anxiety and work with it. He says I will see it lessen as I do this.

Sometimes it is just so hard though, I know I need to be doing something and I get this little voice in my head chanting "I'm scared, scared, scared", I get literally scared to move sometimes and want to cry. Rationally I know there's not a reason for my fear. But then there's nothing really rational about an anxiety disorder I suppose.

Just looking for some tips to deal with this and maybe even some encouragement from those of you who have improved. Thanks everyone for reading!

sial72
29-08-15, 20:06
Hi there
It is obvious that rationally you know everything that is happening to you but as your counsellor says you have to work on acceptance.
When I was like this I found exercise very helful, also sticking to a routine and I also found reading Claire Weekes books very helpful.
Good luck, you will get better! Xxx

jadedreams
31-08-15, 16:58
Thanks Sial, I actually have ordered "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" and am waiting on it to arrive sometime this week. Looking forward to reading it as I have heard many good things about it.

This round of anxiety has been hard as it has been different than before and much more general. I'm usually a very rational person and I know my anxiety fears are irrational which makes it more frustrating. I know the fears are very unlikely to happen or that there is even no physical reason to feel afraid but yet it is there.

I need to work on accepting the anxiety as per my counselor and hopefully work on floating with it once I get into Claire Weekes book. Thank you for replying to me.