PDA

View Full Version : Bony lump on skull

vpfrends
31-08-15, 00:39
For a few months (that I've noticed) I've had a small lump on the back of my head under my hair, about the size of a pea. I felt as if I could push on it, as if it was fluid filled, but it was still firm.

More recently the "swelling" has gone down slightly after pushing on it, as if whatever fluid was in there sort of spilled out of the lump without bursting, but after feeling it more it seems as if there is a sort of bony protrusion underneath it, only a few millimetres wide but about as long as the swelling was, so sort of like a ridge. I can only feel it if I press my nail into the lump, which hurts, so I can't get a very good idea.

I posted about it before, and I saw a doctor about it, who seemed confident it was an infected or irritated hair follicle. But of course that health anxiety voice keeps saying "but what if she was wrong?!" so I can't help but start worrying again. For instance, it could be a bone tumour which had some fluid around it, or the hard bit might not be bone - it's hard to tell if it moves or not. Of course this is coming on top of a few months of horrible anxiety about oral cancer which still has me checking my mouth, so it could be yet another thing blown out of proportion. Still, it's really worrying me, so I'd really appreciate any help or advice. Anyone have any similar experience? Thanks.

Oosh
31-08-15, 21:38
Try and start from a default that it's a harmless ailment as opposed to a default that it's the very very VERY remote chance that's it's something serious.

I'd feel very relieved if I had that symptom. It seems to me to be one of the less worrying things to find.

Even your doc has given it the all clear.

Everybody has a little sticky out bone on the back of the head. Is it by that ?

I'd say a hair follicle would be by far the most likely explanation :yesyes:

Now try looking for evidence of blocked hair follicles maybe to, even more, confirm your belief that its that.

Don't look for evidence that it's NOT that. Look for evidence that it IS that.

Woodengirl
02-09-15, 01:58
I have one of those. My dr is sure it's nothing. He suggested taking a picture of it once a week and comparing the pictures. As long as it doesn't change size or shape he said just continue to monitor but not to worry.