PDA

View Full Version : Please help a fellow ha sufferer

Traceypo
31-08-15, 16:57
I've been bitten by an insect and it has become infected and swollen. I've started antibiotics today. I'm carastophising and feel so scared. The wound is painful and so keeps reminding me that it's there and it looks dreadful. Can't eat, relax or do anything other than Google a thousand skin infection Websites. Please help x

GoWhiteSox
31-08-15, 16:59
if you have a swollen infected wound i would say that is an appropriate time to see a doctor so they can administer to it, rather than worry about it

Traceypo
31-08-15, 17:06
I went this morning to walk in, was given antibiotics, but now fear it's worse, I'm not sure if my symptoms are anxiety or due to the infection.

Fishmanpa
31-08-15, 17:12
It's a simple bite and infection. Give the antibiotics a chance to work. It probably wouldn't hurt to put an OTC antibiotic cream on the wound like Bactrim. Your reaction and sensations are anxiety related. For what it's worth, stay off Dr Google!

Positive thoughts

Traceypo
31-08-15, 18:30
Thank you for your advice, of course you're right, it will take time to get better, I'm just not very patient. Love your quote, it made me smile. Need to put the anxiety to back of mind and stop thinking of the extreme. X

countrygirl
31-08-15, 20:34
I live in a place that has evil biting insects that bite everyone from beg of august to end of september and the Drs is full of people with infected bites.

The antibiotics take up to 48 hrs to really get working so they won't work today. Can you draw a line around the infection as this will then tell you if the infection is spreading or not.

If it continues to get alot bigger over next day then its sensible to go back or if you develop a red line from the site upwards then thats serious and you need to go to A&E. I am not wanting to scare you with the red line info but its worth knowing for any infection as my son had this serious complication from cellulitis and it needs immediate hospital treatment.

With the bites we get here I have always found that using neat tee tree oil or lavender if you are okay with it twice a day helps hugely with any infection.

Infection is usually caused by you scratching the bite so in future don't scratch unless you know what you are scratching:)

I am sure it will start to improve in next 24 hrs.

Traceypo
31-08-15, 20:42
Thanks hun. It was healing but think I must have scratched it in my sleep, so I woke up with it very angry this morning. Drew the line about 3 hours ago and it hasn't spread since then. Temp, o2, pulse etc fine so need to accept other symptoms are anxiety. Hoping to see an improvement in next day or 2, I've been OK lately too, but this has really thrown me. X

lofwyr
31-08-15, 21:20
Google is the absolute worst thing you can do for yourself. You will never find reassurance from Google, and you have done what you can to treat it and it will work. I was prone to infections when I was a kid and some took days to work, but they always did. An infected bug bite is no big deal, trust me. Had a few back in the day. ☺️

Traceypo
31-08-15, 21:46
Thanks hun, I'm always caught off guard by these things. The rational part of me knows my skin never fares well with bites or foreign bodies. It just looks horrid. Had a soothing bath and put a dressing on so I can't scratch. Off to bed soon, hoping to sleep x