PDA

View Full Version : Can 80mg propranolol make depression worse?

Dogloverlyn
31-08-15, 20:36
hi, been suffering anxiety for years, fear, scared, dizzy, lost of control, confusion etc. with the occasional panic attack, palps and hot flushes/night sweats. My panic has recently got very much worse so my GP prescribed 80mg propranolol I started taking 12 days ago. Although I would say my anxiety has remained the same, I seem to suffer badly each morning, today I feel so much more blue/ depressed. I woke at 4am feeling suicidal. I want to cry all the time, I can't be bothered and don't want to do anything, I just don't see the point in life. Has anyone else felt their depression has got worse on Propranolol and more importantly will it pass and get better in time, as the Propranolol has helped with the panic, I just want to be happy and enjoy life again. Any advice or experience appreciated.

sammie13s
31-08-15, 22:01
I wouldn't say it was the propranonol personally. If it's any consulation I'm going threw a really bad time. Many of which you wrote. If your feeling suicidal please tell someone. Believe me I have them thoughts where I think to myself what's the point. I'd rather not be here than feel like this.. But then I tell myself to get a grip and not to let this win. Be strong xx

Dogloverlyn
01-09-15, 13:58
Thank you Sammie for replying. Another bad day for me, made it to work but an hour in I just felt like crumpling and breaking down. I am like this most mornings so have put it down to morning anxiety but I am too frightened to give in, as I think I will never go back to work if I do. I struggle equally with the fight as I do with the flight! I don't want to let people, friends and family down but I just want to curl up and cry and make it go away, but I don't like being on my own !

ricardo
01-09-15, 14:56
What meds were you on before ? I am not sure but having been on propranolol myself(which did nothing for me) I am concerned that you feel suicidal.

You really must act on this and if you are reading right now,phone your doctor's and explain exactly what is going through your head.Best of luck.

Dogloverlyn
02-09-15, 16:46
Thank you both. Seeing Dr in two weeks, monitoring each day so can take a diary with notes and hopefully get some kind of pick me up. Thanks again. Was on Citalopram but don't like the side effects.

Shapeshifting Lizard
08-09-15, 01:41
This is something I wish to know too. My dosage is the same. I haven't noticed much other than my depression's not got better, but it's done the job for my anxiety, I'm not even on benzos anymore.