PDA

View Full Version : bad mole habits

lofwyr
01-09-15, 20:13
In the beginning of the summer I had a very legitimate, not HA cancer scare. I had a mole that went crazy. Even the doctor who took the biopsy thought it would be modular melanoma, the deadliest kind. It was, however, an unexplainable fluke and the mole was benign. No cancer at all, yay! I should be able to move on with my life.

I wish. Sadly I have a lot of moles, and I mean a lot. I have always hated them simply on cosmetic grounds, but lately I am looking at each one like a time bomb stuck to my skin. I really feel myself obsessing over them. I find myself avoiding going outside when it is sunny. I can feel the unhealthy self checking habits coming back.

For those with similar mole problems, what sort of things get you through? I have had a pretty good run with no HA of late but it feels like it is sliding back into my life and a lot of the cbt tricks do t pull my mind away from the mole worry.

The other issue is when I thought I was looking at cancer I jumped in a did a lot of research about melanoma. Now when I did it I was just trying to be proactive in potential treatments. Naturally I thought I had cancer. As it turns out now I have filled my brain with so much knowledge about melanoma I wish I could Unlearn it all. I don't Google anything but this was different.

Anyway, rambling now. The short question is does anyone have a notion of how to overcome mole worry?

2Anxious
01-09-15, 20:24
It's understandable tbh, you had a real scare so I don't think what you're experiencing is too out of the ordinary. Luckily, moles are an external problem and a doctor can simply look at them and decide what to do in minutes.

I think the best way to put your mind at ease is make an appointment and have your doctor look at each individual mole if you feel it will help.

Fishmanpa
01-09-15, 20:31
I'm a survivor of stage IV head and neck cancer, two heart attacks, bypass surgey and stents, I can honestly say there isn't a day that goes by when I'm reminded in some way, shape or form of my ordeal. Like you, I'm really well educated on my illnesses. I know too much for my own good.

That being said, I sought help for my "scanxiety" and depression in the form of one on one therapy and a self course of CBT and I have a "chill pill" I can take when things start really getting to me.

As far as the fear of a recurrence?... I'm past that at 2yrs+ out. There is always the chance it could come back or I could be stricken with a different cancer. Then there's the heart disease. Heck, my heart could take me out before any other cancer ~lol~

Overall though. It's time that heals all wounds. I have challenges as we all do in life, but I'm "living" it as opposed to worrying about it.

I've said this numerous times on these boards. I have real physical issues that can bury me six feet under. Those here suffer from an illness that's doing that above ground.

Go out.. LIVE... experience the things life has to offer because you're not taking it with you! Read the quote in my signature. I'm reminded of that every single day and I do my best to live by it. And remember, worrying is "chasing the wind".

Positive thoughts