PDA

View Full Version : Was on such a high then someone broke in my home. Is relapse possible?

Chrissy8907
02-09-15, 00:37
For the past year I've been experiencing panic and anxiety. Well in May I just started doing whatever I wanted. Sometimes it was hell but I still did it. I was so proud of myself. Then two weeks ago a man broke in my home came in my room and was touching me. He ran off when I screamed but I feel like such a set back now. I'm afraid to stay alone long and have been staying at a hotel when j have too. I'm so ashamed of myself. Though I've had just a couple of panic moments my anxiety is pretty strong :( I feel like I'm such a disappointment to myself I've also been very emotional since it happen. Has anyone experienced a relapse? I don't have any friends and a sister and mother who have their own lives. I really don't know where to turn.

Oosh
03-09-15, 14:59
Oh no, that sounds awful.

Problem when you've had anxiety issues in the past is you quickly associate feeling those things with a return to how you were - a relapse. Truth probably is you just feel anxious. . . and who wouldn't ?

Don't add meaning to the episode and keep hold of it. Give your mood a chance to change by putting your thoughts on other things again. Your recovery was probably because you had been doing this. Your setback is probably because you are thinking anxiously again. It's a trap. You feel anxiety so think anxiously for solutions and meaning. But those thoughts just produce an anxious, introspective mood.

Put your mind on other things again and bounce back.

23tana
03-09-15, 15:16
That's dreadful! I think anyone who experienced that would feel anxious and emotional, whether they had suffered before or not.

Have you spoken to the police? In UK they have a victim support unit with counsellors to help you get through such an experience.

Chrissy8907
08-09-15, 06:11
Thank you. I defiantly feel like I have had these panics at night when I'm alone with my daughter (when it happened) but it's not a good feeling. When I feel this I usually go stay with my sister but I don't want it to become a habit. I love my home and being there. I've been thinking of returning back to therapy because I do really enjoy it but it is costly :( so I'm hoping as time goes on I will improve its just a lack of confidence :(