PDA

View Full Version : Confussed...!

Rich1
02-09-15, 18:20
Hi there - I've been on Diazepam for the last 3 months for anxiety/panics, due to stress. Had 2mg prescribed to take as & when. Probably averaged about 3mg per day. Some days more, some days none. This has then lead to a bought of depression. I went to the doctors 5 days ago & they started me on 10mg Citalopam, which I started that day & stopped the Diazepam. Since then I've had some really strange feelings ~ fuzzy head ~ racing heart ~ anxiety that feels like its trying to surface. So I'm not sure which side effect is which - withdrawal from Diazepam, or new to Citalopram? Should I have just stopped the Diazepam, or just tapered it down over the next weeks? The Doctor didn't seem to know & said it was up to me to continue on the Diazepam - which I want to stop...:bighug1:
Any ideas please?

Elen
02-09-15, 18:27
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Regards

Elen Admin

Rich1
03-09-15, 09:21
Can anyone give some advise Pls? Anxiety, trembling, racing heart, - Although only a low dose, should I be tapering off the diazepam? I hear people taking diazepam to overcome the effects of Citroplam, so am I worsening my symptoms of both by starting one and just stopping the other?
Thanks

sial72
03-09-15, 11:47
Hi
I can't believe your doctor not knowing, they are just unbelievable sometimes.
Yes, you do have to taper from Diazepam. I did it years ago so don't remember times and dosages.
Why don't you look at the Ashton Manual online.
Give me a shout if I can help in any way, good luck xx

Rich1
03-09-15, 12:13
Sial - Thanks for the reply. I took a look at the Ashton manual and it looks like I'm a couple of weeks away from a total withdrawal. I guess the mix with starting Citalopram doesn't help. I'm amazed with the Docs as well! They kept supplying me the Diazepam on a repeat with only 1 initial appointment - never even mentioned its addictiveness, or withdrawal. Just gave me Citalopram last week to combat depression...:bighug1: x

sial72
03-09-15, 12:41
Shocking! Here is Spain they used to give me 3 prescriptions for Diazepam at a time so that I could go longer without having to take appointments at the docs..
Anyway, was the Ashton Manual helpful, did you get all the info you need for now to do it progressively while starting on the Cit?

Rich1
03-09-15, 13:02
Yes thanks - Ashton Manual was good. I've got to taper it off a bit slower & I guess starting on the Citalopram & coming off the Diazepam - will make me feel bad anyway... x

Rich1
03-09-15, 17:49
Anyone else experienced coming off Diazepam & starting Citalopram - I've got a banging fuzzy head & anxiety about everything & trembles - not sure whether its a combination of both meds or just one? I'm now only taking 1mg of Diazepam a day from last weeks average of 3mg - not sure if that's enough ~~ Comments welcome...
:bighug1:

MyNameIsTerry
04-09-15, 07:16
Your GP is a real idiot. They have been given plenty of guidance on how to taper people off so there is no excuse. I often wonder when this happens whether it's a GP trying to cut costs or prevent themselves popping up on a local trust monitoring report so they don't get into trouble.

My GP would only give me 7 days at a time and I had to see him each time, no repeats. I know some GP's do use repeats, as do my surgery, but not for this and in the case of my surgery I know it was for physical issues.

Coming off Diazepam and going through withdrawal along with onset side effects of Citalopram is likely to mess you up. You should be doing them one at a time. It might be best to withdraw from the Diazepam first. Others on here will have a better idea than me.

You are on a pretty low dose of Citalopram. If it gets worse you could always consider dropping the Citalopram down by breaking the pill in half, I guess. 10mg isn't considered a therapeutic dose anyway, although it does seem to work for some people. At least your GP didn't start you on the standard 20mg than many of us, mine included, as that would be harder.

Rich1
04-09-15, 11:23
Cheers Terry. No wonder I feel like I do... I'm going to work out a Diazepam taper plan, but try & stay on the Citalopram as the 1st week is nearly over, so I'm hoping it will all start to ease up soon. I don't want to have to start again on the Citalopram's if I can help it... Rang the docs, no help what so ever...!

Rich1
05-09-15, 14:31
Think I've tried to come off the Diazepam a bit too quick. Was averaging 4mg per day for approx 11 weeks but not taking it every day. Highest was probably 8mg and some days none. I've tried to go to 1mg but anxiety is through the roof at the mo. Not sure whether to stick with it or go up to 2mg for a few days and then drop back again? It's also day 8 of 10mg of Citrilopam so I'm sure hoping that starts to kick in shortly to ease the symptoms... Any thoughts ???

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

Cant relax or sleep, just on the ends of my nerves. Been for more walks than I cope with to try and calm down.... Done breathing exercises & EFT, but nothing seems to calm me down. Surely there's some GP help out there for these situations. These are prescription drugs that surely shouldn't screw you up like this. Just need something to calm me down. Pharmacist suggests Propranolol, but are these just more addictive drugs to replace Diazepam...? And is this due to Citalopram intake & Diaxepam withdrawal...?

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

Also cant take any emotional affections from my wife or kids, Is that normal...?

sial72
05-09-15, 21:04
Yes, the not being able to take or give affection is completely normal x

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

I'm sorry, I do not have answers to certain questions about meds but I find it very frustrating to see how they hand out pills to lift your mood, the pulls to relax you when your body is to high, etc, etc.
When I say that I don't mean you specifically (royal you)...there are things that help us just as much as medication but without the side effects and yet doctors don't inform us about these (probably because they don't come with any perks)... Like diet, exercise, mindfulness, magnesium...
Sorry Rich, rant over...have you tried other options?

MyNameIsTerry
06-09-15, 05:34
I don't know about Diazepam but from seeing others discuss it, I've seen them say you could make a slower taper by increasing somewhere between what you were on and what you have dropped to. It's worth a try, it just makes it a longer process.

Citalopram like all these SSRI's can increase your anxiety, give you mood swings, depression, etc. So, conbining a withdrawal from Benzo's with start up side effects is a bad plan in my book. Lifting up the Benzo might help you through this but other than stop the Citalopram, it's waiting 4-6 weeks for any side effects to clear (although than can reduce much earlier so it's more manageable or go completely).

Have you thought of contacting PALS about your GP? Perhaps they can give you some idea of what to do?

Sial - I agree completely. Overhere we have guidelines saying therapy comes before meds but we don't have the therapists or cash in the NHS to make that happen so GP's reach for the pills as they get us out of the surgery. GP's have little back up with the therapists not being there although in some areas the charities are there to pick up the slack and GP's could give people book prescriptions & CCBT but they can't be bothered for some reason.

In poorer countries they try more natural methods out of lack of funds. I think they have it right compared to our "pill pusher" GP's who don't even understand what they are prescribing and then you get shambolic GP's with poor ethics like Rich's who put people through harsh withdrawals.

Rich1
06-09-15, 08:44
Thanks for the advice. I'm also seeing a therapist who specilises in mindfullness etc, but I think that the meds have overpowered it all. Think I'm Just going to have to wait for it to all settle down a bit. I went to see a GP yesterday at the local A&E to see if they can help calm me down a bit, but they just suggest riding the withdrawal Storm and try to stop the diazepam asap. Great, just what you want to hear, they prescribe it, but don't seem to take any heart of help afterwards..

Rich1
08-09-15, 15:49
Day 4 with NO Diazepam & Day 11 on the Citalopram. Had a few glimmers of hope... Side effects, mood swings, a lot of anxiety/chest palpitations, 1 big 20 minute panic attack, thick/fuzzy head since I started the Cits, ringing ears, wobbly legs, emotions on shut, down, cant handle anything stressful. Couldn't sleep at night when I was taking the Cits at night, so I switched them to morning & also taking 50mg Nytol tablet which helps with sleep (don't take the night Kalms, apparently the valerium doesn't mix well with the Cits.) - Managing to get about 7 hours sleep, but pretty tired in the day... Does this seem similar to other experiences out there...?