PDA

View Full Version : So embarrassed about stuff I did when I was drunk

sadtimes
03-09-15, 23:12
I'm not sure if this is an anxiety thing or just something everyone does.

My friends always seem to just be able to get over the stuff they did while they we're drunk and they do way worse stuff than me.
So, I got drunk on Tuesday night with a few close friends and a lot of acquaintances. We were playing never have I ever, and the more drunk I got, the more awkward stuff I admitted to, which was embarrassing.

I'm also going to university soon and we have a group chat, and I messaged them really embarrassing stuff thinking that they were my other group chat with all my friends in, which was ugh...so embarrassing.

It's been like 3 days and I keep having little panic's about it. Please don't be all like "Well don't drink then" cause I know that now. Does anyone else feel like this after drinking?

Pepperpot
03-09-15, 23:58
Haha all the time!
I'm a big believer in the fact that yes they may talk about you for the week, but someone else will always do something more embarrassing the following weekend, taking the spotlight off you :)
I still have little cringes about stuff I've done years ago! Can't do anything about it so I don't let it get me down x

Dan1975
04-09-15, 00:02
Don't worry about it. Think about all the shit going on in the world and how lucky you are to be worrying about something so insignificant. It doesn't matter. Really it doesn't.

blue moon
04-09-15, 02:40
,I agree with you Dan :D

hoppipolla
04-09-15, 03:09
Pretty normal I think lol

I usually find that I remember things I did way more than other people do! So like, don't be too hard on yourself :)

Everyone has done embarrassing things at some point or another!

MyNameIsTerry
04-09-15, 04:35
We all do it from time to time thanks to alcohol. It's normal.

But, is this impacting on your OCD? I remember you had themes which you were unable to discuss even on here and felt you couldn't talk to a therapist. Do you think you have mentioned things connected to that?

You are free to talk on here, you won't be judged. There are OCD themes about harming people, incest and paedophilia. You don't have to discuss anything you don't want to but I want you to know that these people did not experience stigma or judgement and neither will you.

Fishmanpa
04-09-15, 06:04
Obviously, the thing to do is abstain from drinking. Remove the catalyst and you remove the anxiety over the consequences. There are countless posts that show the negative effect alcohol has on one's anxiety. From hangovers to stomach issues to regrets about drunken behavior.

That being said, most have had a similar experience (or many) in their lives. At least it's not on Youtube and going viral ~lol~

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
04-09-15, 06:38
Obviously, the thing to do is abstain from drinking. Remove the catalyst and you remove the anxiety over the consequences. There are countless posts that show the negative effect alcohol has on one's anxiety. From hangovers to stomach issues to regrets about drunken behavior.

That being said, most have had a similar experience (or many) in their lives. At least it's not on Youtube and going viral ~lol~

Positive thoughts

The OP actually posted before about their OCD being linked to alcohol in that they fear what they might say. So, to abstain is an avoidance of this. whilst it may be a choice to abstain, the OCD issue needs resolving or that fear can remain.

Besides, the OP is talking about saying things they regret which has no link to anxiety symptoms whatsoever. :whistles:

bekw89
04-09-15, 06:53
Oh all the time, I would be cringing for days about what i'd said when drunk, horrible dread feeling in the pit of my stomach and wanting to avoid talking to anyone who was there, wouldn't want to look at my phone or go on facebook. I would never do anything terrible but I do have a big mouth and when drunk it's ridiculous. Thanks to anxiety I haven't been drunk in 2 months so it's a blessing in disguise, but as others have said this is very normal. I wouldn't worry. I think the more self aware you are the more something like that bothers you. But people move on.

---------- Post added at 06:53 ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 ----------

Also if you are going to uni soon, you will find that any of the drunken antics you get up too will greatly be eclipsed by someone's worse drunken antics and you won't feel embarrassed anymore.

gregcool
04-09-15, 08:49
Been there many times.as have most people have that drink..once we feel under the influence we start to let stuff out we norm wouldnt talk about...you just have to learn to except what you have said,as long as its not anything realy deep and private..