PDA

View Full Version : Body is over it, brain hasnt caught up yet.

bekw89
05-09-15, 11:31
Quite literally all physical anxiety symptoms have stopped now, now I haven't had even a panic surge in a few days and I have been in alsorts of places. Even went to a yoga class on my own. However my brain is still searching for danger I get so many irrational thoughts and the DP is still here. Does the mind take a while to catch up?

Greenman50
05-09-15, 12:14
Yes it does , but the fact you are out and about and feeling better is great .

Just keep the happy positive thoughts and keep busy doing what you enjoy and in my experience it just slowly all comes together

Sparkle1984
05-09-15, 19:09
I'm the same - almost all of my physical anxiety symptoms have died down (although I still occasionally get moments when my heart is beating fast, and I still feel a bit jittery sometimes), but I still get a lot of intrusive thoughts and worries. My current anxiety episode has been going on for 4 months now, and I feel almost as if my mind has got so used to feeling anxious, like it's become a bit of a habit. Some days are better than others though.

MyNameIsTerry
06-09-15, 05:05
It sounds like the Citalopram is kicking in for you. You've not been on it long enough for it to make changes to receptor sites as thats 4-6 weeks but prior to this it is increasing your serotonin so perhaps thats where the help is coming in? So, you could experience more improvements soon anyway BUT it does take the mind time to change as we discussed in your neuroplasticity thread but it also matters how many negative changes were made first e.g. I've had 9 years so changes are bigger than I was when I first went off.

It makes sense you look at your diet and increase serotonin levels.

bekw89
06-09-15, 09:06
Thanks for the replies everyone. I look forward to better days soon :) sparkle we will get there!

Terry, when tthe change at the receptors occurs does that affect things like irrational thoughts and mental anxieties?

MyNameIsTerry
06-09-15, 09:13
It means less serotonin being used up on top of more being filled into the space between so you feel the effects of even more serotonin. So, it could do yes but if not it means you will have more control of things so you can work towards changing your thinking.

The fact you are not experiencing weeks of side effects and having an early response is a good indicator that this med is going to be good for helping you through your anxiety. The rest needs to come from you retraining your thinking to make those changes in the subconscious so that when you come off eventually you won't relapse.

bekw89
06-09-15, 13:01
That's great news, I think I am feeling that way already in a way. I get the irrational thoughts but am able to not follow them down to an anxious state. Also getting out more is giving me more of an identity so the DP is wearing off slowly. Feeling optimistic about it all so we shall see...

Emelia
06-09-15, 20:27
I'm so happy to read things are getting better for someone. :) I'm only on week 2 of Prozac and hope to have the same effect. Take Care and keep us posted.

MyNameIsTerry
07-09-15, 04:56
Yes, it sounds like you are making great progress at the moment. One piece of advice I would give you is to keep working towards recovery as if the medication wasn't there and change how you deal with things. I didn't do much of this the first time and I relapsed 6 months after coming off because my GP was just pushing constantly to remove meds.

bekw89
07-09-15, 06:29
Hi Emelia, hope you get some great results on the prozac. I've also started exercising (yoga and gym) now the tablets have given me space to.

Terry I completely agree, a lot of it is still about pushing yourself to go outside your comfort zone. Especially with the breathing issue i've had. I have to ignore some frightening and uncomfortable sensations because I am trying to tell my brain that it's normal to not monitor or notice your breathing etc.