PDA

View Full Version : Propranalol

Margy
05-09-15, 14:46
Hi everyone my name is margy, i have just joined today, i suffer really bad with anxiety/panic attacks all the time, nearly every day. My gp has put me on propranalol 40mg twice a day. Im panicking because it slows down your heart rate, and im scared that it will slow down too much.

Has anyone else been on this medication that can give me some reassurance please, im so anxious at the minute.

:)

sammie13s
05-09-15, 15:15
Iv been on these lots of times and to be quiet honest with you I don't think they help with anxiety at all. Xx

Margy
05-09-15, 15:18
Why wont they help?

sammie13s
05-09-15, 15:20
My gp told me there useful because they slow ur heart down. So if you suffer with a racing heart in anxiety it stops it. But it never did for me Hun x

Margy
05-09-15, 15:24
It downs calm me down, but im constantly thinking about my heart rate, so when it slows down im thinking is that too slow.

Pepperpot
05-09-15, 23:26
Never helped me either as my heart never raced lol.
They won't slow your heart down until it stops - it just doesn't work like that. They are widely used and quite safe. My resting HR was around 75bpm and 55-60bpm on propanolol. x

rsanchez
06-09-15, 14:17
It won't just slow the heart rate down. It will also reduce the effects of adrenaline on your system.

If you are still scared it will negatively affect your heart, you could try doing some CBT at the same time.

Fishmanpa
06-09-15, 14:28
Having heart disease, I take a beta blocker as well as BP meds and blood thinners. While it does have heart rate and BP lowering qualities, the main benefit is that it puts a ceiling on how hard your heart will work. In an anxiety situation, as rsanchez said, it helps to quell adrenalin's effect on your system in times of stress.

Positive thoughts

Margy
06-09-15, 14:45
I am going to cbt councelling.