PDA

View Full Version : Social Anxiety Disorder

chrisj
06-09-15, 08:55
I've had panic attacks all my life but was not diagnosed until middle age. My eleven year old daughter has just started High School and has suffered similar symptoms. Our Doctor has referred her for a psychiatric assessment. Her mother and I are very worried about her (without wanting to trigger our own anxiety attacks!). The main issue is that our daughter has no friends in any of her classes and finds it impossible to talk to new people. She has felt frightened and lonely at her new school. Teachers don't think there's a problem because she hides her feelings so well (she hates to access help or draw attention to herself).

venusbluejeans
06-09-15, 09:11
Hiya chrisj and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

sial72
06-09-15, 11:09
I feel for you. It is so upsetting to see our children suffer and we can feel so guilty that they have this because of us...
I took my daughter to a Childrens Therapist for other issues just over a year ago and it was very helpful. Now at age 6 she has had a few panic attacks and has very bad separation anxiety so I might take her again.
So, I would recommend it. I would also look on Amazon, they have some good books about anxiety for kids to read themselves, it helps them realize they are not alone in all this.
Good luck x

23tana
06-09-15, 13:32
Have you spoken to the Education Social Worker at your daughter's school? He/she can give direct support to your daughter during school hours.