PDA

View Full Version : Always anxious, hello all

SurfingWaves
06-09-15, 16:29
Hi everyone,

I started getting anxious when I was 14 when schoolfriends pointed out that I was blushing and I quickly found that there was nothing i could do to stop it.. the rest of my school life revolved around control strategies so people didn't notice.. I was still a very sociable guy but would get horrible anxiety and panic when I started blushing but it didn't stop me from having good friends and enjoying myself for the most part.

I developed serious anxiety issues towards my last year of school tho and eventually went to the doctors and was put on Seroxat anti-depressants which helped me to care less about it and I had much less anxiety, life was quite good at that point. I started working after leaving school in a busy office, started to smoke weed after 2 years there. smoked every day without fail. after the fourth year I stopped taking anti depressants thinking that I was feeling much better.. probably all the dopamine from the weed telling me everything was fine. Anyways I had major panic attacks/anxiety and couldn't sleep until I went back on the tablets.

Started a new job, felt better and once again stopped the tablets. had another bad episode which triggered Pure 'O' OCD and the worst anxiety of my life. couldnt sleep for weeks, I was a zombie. I quit my job. I started Effexor venlafaxine for a short time which really helped me get back to normal.

These last 8 years I have been free from anti-depressants but smoked cannabis every day, spent a few long periods on job search benefits.

I quit cannabis completely 4 months ago when me and my partner had a baby.

I am really facing my issues now with no anti-depressants or weed and I've become very anxious about everything, especially social things. Trying to find a job at the moment and am dreading going back to work with people I dont know.

I've learned things that trigger my anxiety:
Being judged and looking strange / stupid
many negative thoughts
eye contact with strangers
blushing
sweating (this started happening a lot, its worse than blushing sometimes but recently started using treatments to minimise it)
bills/money management - im hopeless at it and got myself in a lot of debt

I had pretty much given up on life but having a baby has given me something to live for.

I am practicing mindfulness which is helping a bit, Started taking 5htp a week ago but havent really seen any benefits from it.

Sorry for the long post,

Surfing

venusbluejeans
06-09-15, 16:35
Hiya SurfingWaves and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Vanilla Sky
06-09-15, 20:39
Hi there ,
Welcome to NMP :)

bernie1977
06-09-15, 20:45
Hi SurfingWaves,

Maybe you should think about going back on anti depressants as you said on both occasions you were on them they helped. Speak to your GP and see what they recommend or ask for a referral for therapy first.

Re. Your debts give the national debt helpline a ring they may be able to help or your local citizens advice bureau.

Good luck

sial72
06-09-15, 21:28
Hi there Surfing
Ever had any therapy? Xx

SurfingWaves
06-09-15, 22:56
Hi and thanks for replying to my post, Bernie I am close to going back on anti depressants but wanted to try other things first as I remember weaning off them last time was pretty bad and i had a couple of bad episodes in withdrawal, one of them I seriously wanted to take my own life.

I started taking 5htp as I read many people have found it helps with anxiety, so far ive only noticed weird dreams from it.

Sial I have spoken to a counsellor years ago but was quite ashamed to talk about my issues and it took a lot out of me but it is something I am willing to try now as I am really wanting progress with this after 18yrs!

Maybe I should combine the therapy with medication, tho my partner is not happy that I am considering tablets again. she is quite supportive and will try to talk to me about my issues but has a thing about medication.

Thanks again for your replies,

Surfing