PDA

View Full Version : Prep for colonosopy

lavender123
06-09-15, 23:12
I am really terrified of taking the prep for the colonoscopsy on Sunday morning next week I have picolax and the two tablets to take at one and ten past one the picolax,mthen again at six in the evening. I have a anxiery disorder and feel very depressed about all this, frightened about not being able to cope with the feelings and the diarehea.meverything really.many advice will help me as I don't think I can do it. Thanks.

LauraWoo84
07-09-15, 02:26
Lavender I have had several colonoscopies and the prep I had to have was over 2 litres of drinking a solution. My advice to you is to make sure you have a good book or some magazines or something else that can distract you whilst you are in your bathroom. You will be okay I assure you. I had the worst health anxiety and was fearful of taking medication, sleeping, exercising for fear of something bad happening to me. Deep breaths, calming music and distraction will help you through the process.

Hope everything goes okay for you

countrygirl
07-09-15, 09:21
I too have had this done about 7 years ago and the prep they used then was much more savage than the picolax you have been given! They now no longer us Fleet thankfully.

On a practical level, if your bathroom is large enough have a comfy chair in there as once the stuff works you are not leaving the bathroom for a few hours because chances are you would not make it back if you are out of the room! Have some cream with you like vasoline or sudocrem as you can get very sore. Make sure you drink the stated amount of liquid at the times they say if necessary having it in the bathroom with you as dehydration is the biggest risk from the prep. I could drink pure clear apple juice and rehydration drinks as long as they weren't red/orange coloured so had lots of this on the day of the prep.

The worst part of this test is the prep but its doable just rather unpleasant. You will be fine the prep won't harm you but don't worry if you develop a headache as this is very common due to mild dehydration and hunger.

Let us know how you get on.

Autumn4
07-09-15, 16:16
I have had this done a couple of times including 2 months ago. I hate taking any meds incase I have a bad reaction - HA problem. It really is fine & the tablets are only what they give to someone with constipation even when pregnant so are safe. The picolax is easy to drink albeit not like a gin & tonic. Its not terrible & you don't get really bad stomach ache. You just go to the loo several times & actually feel quite light & refreshed after. I stayed in my bedroom reading & watching tv - good excuse to be lazy. I only stayed there to be near my bathroom & to enjoy lazing around. I did drink luckozade to to give me some energy as I can get low blood sugar level which makes me shaky.I also drank lots of water. Enjoy the time to watch a movie etc !! The colonoscopy is nothing to worry about at all.

nomorepanic
07-09-15, 17:57
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

lavender123
08-09-15, 09:37
Could you tell me the name of the rehydration drinks to take I have lucozade I keep thinking I will go mental as my anxiery levels are very high , I all reading have ibs so I am on the toilet all the time in the mornings,what's worrying me, is when I am allowed to have my breakfast the morirning of the procedure boles egg and toast, at 7 I cannot have anything else to eat, but I know I will be going to the toilet anyway,. Really worrying me, in case I feel ill and can't cope, with the weakness and my head feeling like it's going to snap, you all know what I mean.

Servo8
22-09-15, 01:11
Did you have it done