PDA

View Full Version : Convinced I have asthma or pulmonary hypertension

Peterthegreatworrier
07-09-15, 03:12
I'm really freaked out right now! I've been having breathlessness, chest pain coughing for about 5 days now, and i am super scared I have asthma or pulmonary hypertension! :weep:

People keep on telling me it's anxiety but I am absolutely terrified that they are wrong! I'm scared that I'll just drop dead any second.
I really need some support right now.
Regards, Peterthegreatworrier.

MyNameIsTerry
07-09-15, 05:19
Hi Peter,

I've had asthma since childhood, so around 29 years now. Asthma is not something to dread, for the vast majority of us it is controlled very well with minor medication and it's only when you get chest infections that you need a bit more support in the form of the usual meds and a likely short term increase in asthma meds while the other meds kick in.

So, don't think asthma ans see those people on breathing apparatus as they are the severe cases and the very uncommon ones. Asthma was becoming a bit of an epidemic in the UK when I was a child and so many people have it over here yet live perfectly normal lives. It has not even bothed my anxisety and vice versa in the last 9 years of GAD & my later OCD.

Testing for asthma is quite simple. There is a reason a peak flow meter tests the force of outbreath, not inbreath.

If you are concerned about asthma, see your GP who will perform quick tests and listen to your symptoms. But anxiety causes breathing issues too a you know so unless you are having this over a longer period or maybe finding it comes on when running/exercising, it could just be anxiety.

Peterthegreatworrier
07-09-15, 05:33
Yeh, I know that Athsma isn't particularly bad, but my fear of pulmonary hypotension is what is really freaking me out.