PDA

View Full Version : I have anxiety but I'd love to study abroad

girl20
07-09-15, 04:28
Hello everyone,
I'm back here because I'm in serious need of advice. I'll try to summarize the story as much as possible not to get boring.
I have been having anxiety issues since 2013 after both mom and dad got diagnosed with severe depression which even put their lives to risk. I'm an only child so having to deal with both of my parents being so ill was a very traumatic experience. The rest of my family was not really supportive, so I felt lonely many times. I think for that reason I started having anxiety issues and panic disorders shortly after. I went to therapy for a couple of months but honestly it didn't help me much, I think what helped me most was my own will to get better and not let my fears stop me. Keeping that in mind, I managed to graduate successfully from university last year, even though it was not easy at all. (In case you're wondering, my parents recovered and are doing much better today, thank God)

As of today, I am able to keep my anxiety over control most of the time, except when I'm under too much stress..or when i'm on the subway and it gets stuck inside the tunnels (yeah, I'm claustrophobic ever since too). My problem now is that there is this opportunity to get a scholarship to go and teach spanish as a TA (I'm a native spanish speaker) in the US for 8 months..and I mean, travelling abroad has always been one of my biggest dreams. I would love to be chosen to do it. However, what's stopping me are my anxious thoughts again. The thought of being alone at a foreign country terrifies me, and it makes me panic to think that a different environment than my own, and not being in the comfort of my home will make me have full blown panic attacks again (just the thought of being "stuck" in a plane for more than 10 hours makes me want to vomit of nervousness). However, I don't want to let my fears stop me from accomplishing my dreams.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Has any of you ever studied abroad while being an anxiety sufferer? I'd really appreciate your input and kind opinions.

Hugs to you all

Oosh
07-09-15, 22:41
I once had a friend from the UK with social anxiety who moved to France. When he communicated back he said that his anxiety had gone. A change of environment and perspective can really do you good.

I think you can handle the flight and once you're there, seeing the reality and making friends with the nice new people you are helping, I think you'll be so glad you went.

girl20
12-09-15, 01:27
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post!
Reading about someone else being able to have a successful experience abroad despite their anxiety is encouraging and motivating :)

I'll apply to the scholarship by the end of the month and we'll see how it all goes