PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my sunbed use - am I over-reacting?

Nitrojan
08-09-15, 10:05
Hi,

I've been worrying myself a lot over the stuff I've been reading online about skin cancer from sunbed use.

I'm not an occasional user of sunbeds but have used one the odd couple of times in the past at my gym. This last week though I went with a mate of mine to a tanning salon and was recommended a 10-minute session for my first time, and since then have done a second 10-minute session and yesterday a 12-minute one. I always leave 24 hours between visits.

This past week I have done a total of 32 minutes, but being 10/12 minutes a time, they were quite intense and lengthy sessions.

I'm really worried now that I have increased my risk of skin cancer. Am I over-reacting or over-thinking this? All the studies online mention a high % increase of risk but they don't state whether or not this is through regular usage over a number of years or not.

I'm 23 years old and pale skinned.

bernie1977
08-09-15, 10:10
If you're pale skinned in my opinion I would not use a sun bed at all. How about using the money you spend on the sun bed sessions on spray tans.

I got a good new fake tan recently, it's by St Tropez you get in the shower get out, apply the solution wait a few mins and get back in the shower and wash it off. Easy as that!

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-15, 10:15
I used sunbeds a couple of times a week for probably 6 months for a couple of years when I was younger. I'm about 17 years older now and no problems at all.

My dad had an op a few years back to remove one of the facial forms that were common to people who work outdoors all the time. It took over 30 years before he had that and he was working in the sun without suncream between 5-7 days a week over 9 hours a day. His form was common to people who work like that but also very easily treated and highly successful treatment rates.

So, perhaps that gives some perspective?

From what I recall when reading about this years ago, there were recommendations to not exceed so many sessions per year (which I remember I had).

Some sunbeds thesedays seem to be safer as I've seen some doctors online mentioning using them for treatment of D3 deficiency. The salon near me have a poster up for a D3 sunbed. So, I wonder if these are classed as safer and if so, are they the same ones that you have used? Just a thought.

Nitrojan
08-09-15, 10:16
I know, I'm regretting it now and I'm pretty worried. I do overthink naturally though so I'm hoping someone can tell me I'm worrying too much over it so to speak.

I'm definitely not using them again.

The only thing I'm cautious about with fake tanning stuff is the streakiness that sometimes comes with it and the obvious "you've been using fake tan" comments for a guy.

countrygirl
08-09-15, 11:57
There is nothing you can do about the sunbed exposure you have already had and worrying about it will not make any difference, plus if and its a big if it increased your risk then this will be in 20-30 years time.

What you can do is be sensible from now on and never use a sunbed again and wear high factor sun cream.

Be pale and interesting instead!

sial72
08-09-15, 12:49
As they have said above, what you have done is done and it isn't that much that it will damage you. But sunbeds are definitely not goid for you, so either stay nice and pale or use a good self-tan cream.

Nitrojan
08-09-15, 13:32
Thanks everyone for the replies :)