PDA

View Full Version : worried because i over reacted

tricia56
08-09-15, 14:42
Last nite my daughter took a photo of me on her mobile while I was sitting on the sofa and I and i saw it she started to laugh and showed it her sister and they both started to laugh and strait away I just flipped and got really upset and started shouting at her to get rid of it as I thought she was going to post it on Facebook and everyone would see how ugly I look i got really upset over it.and now I keep dwelling on it how badly I reacted to it and trying to rationize why I went the way I did.I know my self asteem is rock bottom as it is so seeing the photo didn't really helped much, I did say sorry to my daughter because of the way I spoke to her over it, but I just don't know why today I keep worrying and dwelling on it.

23tana
08-09-15, 15:26
Hello :)

Have you had any help with your feelings of low self esteem? Do you know where they came from?

I'm sure your daughter will have forgiven you for being mad at her. Maybe she could have been a little more sensitive about taking the picture too.

simonjd1974
08-09-15, 15:52
We all do and say things we don't mean. I guess it wasn't a big thing to your daughter, but our stresses and anxiety make it seem worse than what it is?

MyNameIsTerry
09-09-15, 10:55
Hi Tricia,

I think many of us have had this happen to us. I know I have had some uncharacteristic rants at my dad and also a bloke in a shop once. Then spent hours replaying the event in my head from every angle and feeling very bad about my behaviour and needing to apologise and sort it out.

You did the best thing by apologising and sorting the issue out.

Overthinking is very common in these disorders, we need to gain greater control over our thoughts and be able to still our minds. Meditation is good at teaching this.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's done. We can say things we don't really mean in these situations and it is because we are so wound up from the anxiety and we see something out of context.

Janey86
09-09-15, 10:59
I agree with Terry.

The best thing you can do is try not to overthink the situation. Remember, this was an 'argument' or whatever you might call it with your daughters. They love you, and they won't think twice about this. I often have silly spats with my mum or sisters, and they're instantly forgotten. I also hate getting my picture taken, and have reacted in exactly the same way as with you - with friends and family!

If this is bothering to you, apologise and explain what happened the best you can. Then try to put it to the back of your mind and focus on today.