PDA

View Full Version : New user - please be nice !!!

simonjd1974
08-09-15, 14:43
Hi All

Been suffering for 10 months now and have just been diagnosed ?? with GAD and Panic disorder with Agoraphobia.

Started off last November, went out for a nice meal with wife, then on a guided walk around London, UK. During the walk felt the urge to poop. Unfortunately there were no loos close by, so had to run around like a headless chicken, and eventually found a pub, which we had to stay in for three hours until D had settled down.

Since this day, I am petrified of: Supermarkets, busy places, queues (especially), traffic, even red traffic lights at times.

I feel on edge like I am being threatened all day, every day. I get rapid heart, sweats but the worst thing I get is the urgent feeling I need to poop. It really Is frightening and very real. When I cant go, I urgently get the need to go. But 9/10 times when I get to the loo, the pain subsides. I did think it was all in my head, however I recently did have an accident when out bought on by the worrying, so it has reinforced all the feelings.

I work only 8 miles away from home, and the traffic is horrendous. These are the avoiding behaviours I now use:

Never get on public transport
Avoid busy places
Do shopping online/go at night
Stay in at weekends (only time I really feel comfortable)
Avoid all contact with friends
Don't hardly eat during week in fear of upset stomach

I have done a few family events recently, but rather than enjoy them I count every minute and am grateful to just SURVIVE them. I take immodium when I have an event, gives me just a little confidence.

I have a holiday to the USA booked in Dec, and my mother in law has suggested she goes with my wife instead of me. But I know that if I don't do this trip then I may forever be afraid to do it. Im scared of queueing for the plane etc.

I spoke to my GP and have done some online CBT with a therapist which didn't help at all. I recently found a private counsellor and am having sessions of hypnotherapy and relaxing therapy once a week. Hopefully this will help as im at my wits end.

My therapist has also written a letter to my GP asking him to put me on some kind of anxiety medication, to try and break the cycle. Im very tearful at times, and im not saying I would ever do anything silly, but I don't want to live life like this much longer.

Just ranting. Thanks for listening.

23tana
08-09-15, 15:23
Hello and welcome. :)

I have PTSD, GAD and agoraphobia because I fear being attacked due to a past incident. It's hard to overcome the feelings once they become deep rooted but you sound like you are doing well in your approach to trying. I do hope you get to go on holiday.

simonjd1974
08-09-15, 15:25
Thanks very much. So do I. I think this is make or break.

Dan1975
08-09-15, 22:51
Hi All

Been suffering for 10 months now and have just been diagnosed ?? with GAD and Panic disorder with Agoraphobia.

Started off last November, went out for a nice meal with wife, then on a guided walk around London, UK. During the walk felt the urge to poop. Unfortunately there were no loos close by, so had to run around like a headless chicken, and eventually found a pub, which we had to stay in for three hours until D had settled down.

Since this day, I am petrified of: Supermarkets, busy places, queues (especially), traffic, even red traffic lights at times.

I feel on edge like I am being threatened all day, every day. I get rapid heart, sweats but the worst thing I get is the urgent feeling I need to poop. It really Is frightening and very real. When I cant go, I urgently get the need to go. But 9/10 times when I get to the loo, the pain subsides. I did think it was all in my head, however I recently did have an accident when out bought on by the worrying, so it has reinforced all the feelings.

I work only 8 miles away from home, and the traffic is horrendous. These are the avoiding behaviours I now use:

Never get on public transport
Avoid busy places
Do shopping online/go at night
Stay in at weekends (only time I really feel comfortable)
Avoid all contact with friends
Don't hardly eat during week in fear of upset stomach

I have done a few family events recently, but rather than enjoy them I count every minute and am grateful to just SURVIVE them. I take immodium when I have an event, gives me just a little confidence.

I have a holiday to the USA booked in Dec, and my mother in law has suggested she goes with my wife instead of me. But I know that if I don't do this trip then I may forever be afraid to do it. Im scared of queueing for the plane etc.

I spoke to my GP and have done some online CBT with a therapist which didn't help at all. I recently found a private counsellor and am having sessions of hypnotherapy and relaxing therapy once a week. Hopefully this will help as im at my wits end.

My therapist has also written a letter to my GP asking him to put me on some kind of anxiety medication, to try and break the cycle. Im very tearful at times, and im not saying I would ever do anything silly, but I don't want to live life like this much longer.

Just ranting. Thanks for listening.

Hi,

Every time you indulge in avoidance behaviour the problem becomes more deep routed. You need to behave as if you would if you didn't have anxiety (easier said than done I know). Almost certainly the things you fear will not happen and the anxiety cycle starts to break.

Go on the holiday. It will be fine.

Dan

Pepperpot
08-09-15, 22:55
Hello :)
Stomach issues are terrible aren't they - I usually get the runs when I am stressed and it is not nice, but I don't obsess about it (I have other issues though lol).
Don't let this ruin you. You won't be queing for the plane for long anyway and there are always loos. Loos on the plane too (nice ones on long haul flights ;) )so you'll be sorted x