PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline?

doveofhope
08-09-15, 16:07
Hey guys,

Has anyone had any experience of sertraline? I've been prescribed it for anxiety but I also have been diagnosed with Bulimia, so i'm worried about its affect on my eating habits too?

Any experiences you guys have, i'd love to hear them.
x

anxiousrob
08-09-15, 16:16
I started Sertraline about 8 weeks ago, I was previously on citalopram and amitriptyline for approx. 8 months (between them)

So far it seems ok, no side effects like the others, I was expecting a magic cure from the tablets, I though it would be like flicking on a switch and I would be cured.

They do take the edge off, but the anxiety is still there.

Rennie1989
08-09-15, 16:20
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Sunflower2
08-09-15, 19:23
Hi doveofhope, I take this for anxiety too and it has been a life saver for me. I know it affects everyone differently but for me I had a slight increase in appetite for the first few days, but not unmanageable. A lot of people seem to lose their appetite though so I think I'm the odd one out! I was terrified of it making me feel sick but it didn't.

Mostly I was just really tired though!

I started really small as I was so scared, so split it in 8 pieces and took that for 6 weeks and now I'm working up to a quarter. I'm a big baby but it's what I've got to do to take it! I was surprised that even a small amount had an effect on me though.

sammie13s
08-09-15, 20:55
I started these meds 2 weeks ago. Still waiting to feel better. Iv had some side effects. Extra anxious xx

helena8888
10-09-15, 03:19
Sammie the extra anxiety is part of the side effects it will pass
Kimberley, going from 18mg to 25 was so much easier than 12 to 18mg. Even if 25mg is still a small dosage I feel the difference compared to 18mg. Definitely the edge is taken off. I still have anxiety but not the terrible adrenaline rush I had before.

Sunflower2
10-09-15, 07:58
Helena, that's encouraging that it was easier, maybe because you have had the sertraline in your system for longer now too? How long has it been for you now?

helena8888
10-09-15, 09:40
1 month now (1week each at 6, 12, 18 and 25mg). Still feel anxious but much better than 1 month ago

doveofhope
24-09-15, 15:13
Hi there.. So I have an update, I'm on 50mg of sertraline.. and I feel super anxious this week. I can't work and i'm struggling a lot.. not sure if this is due to side affects? but i've been on them for over 2 weeks so should be over this?

Losing hope at the minute x

wareing77
24-09-15, 15:45
2 weeks is not long im afraid, you are probably still experiencing side effects. It should start getting better soon. Dont give up hope, you should settle down soon enough.

Nick

S1ckandT1red
24-09-15, 16:22
I can only echo what wareing has said. You really need to give it at least 2 months for the sert to work and your body to adjust. I struggled for a long time, feeling awful and wishing my life away not wanting to get out of bed never mind leaving the house.
Every day tasks like getting my van serviced se completely overwhelming.

But it slowly gets better, it's only now after ten weeks or so I am now feeling a lot better.
Stick with it and accept you are ill right now and with any illness it takes time to recover, but you will get better.
This forum has made me feel better knowing I am not the only one.