PDA

View Full Version : Oral symptoms - please help :(

jackdobs
08-09-15, 17:56
Ever since I began my anti-depressants a few weeks ago, I've been obsessed with looking in my mouth with a light, finding and noticing things. I've analysed so many areas in my mouth...I'm just so worried all the time. I keep concentrating on the way I speak and whether or not my bite feels different and I just don't know if I'm convincing myself of stuff. What's real and what's not? Why does my tongue and mouth feel different? Is this common with anxiety? Could it be my Sertraline?

I've been particularly worried about the right side of my tongue. Initially, I was kept grinding my teeth down on the area and my sharp filling (which I had done about 7 weeks ago) felt like it was making it really sore. This was confirmed as suddenly there was a white lesion there which went down after several days. Then it came back...and then it sort of came back...but it's barely noticeable at all some mornings. My doctor said it's typical trauma from tooth grinding, but why isn't it going?

PLEASE HELP :( so worried about oral...you know what...

Jack.

Fishmanpa
08-09-15, 18:00
My doctor said it's typical trauma from tooth grinding, but why isn't it going?

Because you're still grinding your teeth in some way, shape or form. Don't know what else to tell you really. Saying "stop looking in your mouth" isn't going to work. Hang on with the meds. Things should stabilize and calm down soon.

Positive thoughts

bernie1977
08-09-15, 18:54
Because you're still grinding your teeth in some way, shape or form. Don't know what else to tell you really. Saying "stop looking in your mouth" isn't going to work. Hang on with the meds. Things should stabilize and calm down soon.

Positive thoughts

Just come back to this forum after some time away and I have to say Fishmanpa I love your posts. They always make me smile as you're so straight to the point. I like straight talkers :)

Rennie1989
08-09-15, 19:11
You can grind your teeth without noticing which can aggravate the tongue.

jackdobs
08-09-15, 19:50

Positive thoughts

Thanks fishmanpa. I don't want you or anyone else to think I'm someone who just whinges incessantly - I've genuinely tried so hard to stop looking in my mouth, it's like an OCD thing every time I see a mirror.. and I'm currently waiting on CBT...like so many others here.

Traceypo
08-09-15, 20:18
During chats I've had with my doctor about medication, is that in the first few weeks it can make you feel worse, this is what has stopped me from taking medication. Well done for taking the brave step of starting medication, hopefully this is just the early side effects before medication has a chance to work.

Greenman50
08-09-15, 22:20
Ever since I began my anti-depressants a few weeks ago, I've been obsessed with looking in my mouth with a light, finding and noticing things. I've analysed so many areas in my mouth...I'm just so worried all the time. I keep concentrating on the way I speak and whether or not my bite feels different and I just don't know if I'm convincing myself of stuff. What's real and what's not? Why does my tongue and mouth feel different? Is this common with anxiety? Could it be my Sertraline?

I've been particularly worried about the right side of my tongue. Initially, I was kept grinding my teeth down on the area and my sharp filling (which I had done about 7 weeks ago) felt like it was making it really sore. This was confirmed as suddenly there was a white lesion there which went down after several days. Then it came back...and then it sort of came back...but it's barely noticeable at all some mornings. My doctor said it's typical trauma from tooth grinding, but why isn't it going?

PLEASE HELP :( so worried about oral...you know what...

Jack.

Hi Jack

Thats EXACTLY what i,m going through !

A white lesion caused by tongue rubbing on a filling .

I was anxious any way with dry mouth and i clench my teeth when i,m anxious and my throat neck gets pains in it .

Has the dentist filled the filling down ?

My tongue on the left hand side its not sore but i,m constantly aware of my tongue its driving me mad it also throbs now and again which sends me into melt down .

My dentist told be she was happy it was a lesion and the white patch had gone but certain things would irritate it .

Its been a month since the filling was filled down and 2 weeks since the white patch has gone but tongue still feels " strange " :shrug:

Mouth wash helps mate and dentist said use it even if it stings a bit .

HTH

jackdobs
08-09-15, 22:50
Hi Jack

Thats EXACTLY what i,m going through !

A white lesion caused by tongue rubbing on a filling .

I was anxious any way with dry mouth and i clench my teeth when i,m anxious and my throat neck gets pains in it .

Has the dentist filled the filling down ?

My tongue on the left hand side its not sore but i,m constantly aware of my tongue its driving me mad it also throbs now and again which sends me into melt down .

My dentist told be she was happy it was a lesion and the white patch had gone but certain things would irritate it .

Its been a month since the filling was filled down and 2 weeks since the white patch has gone but tongue still feels " strange " :shrug:

Mouth wash helps mate and dentist said use it even if it stings a bit .

HTH

Great to meet someone going through the same! I haven't been to the dentist out of pure fear she'll tell me there's something really wrong. My filling feels sharp on the edge though, so I do need to go. I hate being so scared. The doctor said it looked typical of trauma and nothing sinister, and he said it will go down...did your white area come and go? Mine has been...it's usually really faint anyway and barely noticeable some mornings but I'm totally conscious of it. It's just worrying me so much. :weep:

Greenman50
09-09-15, 00:08
Cant see mine mate its thats far back and i,m not looking !

If its catching on a filling it will come and go the dentist will file it down job done its worth going

ekolie
09-09-15, 04:09
information that really helped me Thank you

jackdobs
10-09-15, 18:14
Just to let you all know, I'm in to see the dentist tomorrow. I'm hoping and praying it's just a case of smoothing down my filling because if she refers me I don't know how I'll cope with the stress. So worried. Hoping for the best. :weep:

Greenman50
10-09-15, 19:27
You will be fine mate :yesyes:

Peace of mind by tomoz night :hugs:

jackdobs
11-09-15, 19:45
You will be fine mate :yesyes:

Peace of mind by tomoz night :hugs:

Well, it seems you were right my friend! THANK GOD. I went in this morning, explained how nervous I was about my tongue and the dentist looked and said my tongue was fine. The reason it can appear white is because when the damage is done to the tongue, it gets waterlogged and this makes it white...

She said she could feel the sharp edge right away and she smoothed it down and said it'll calm down now. So, my tongue is fine and a professional has told me so after examining the area...I need to keep reminding myself of that.

Thanks for being so helpful!

Greenman50
12-09-15, 17:23
Your welcome mate ......pleased for you :D

It does take time to heal so dont worry if its still sore for a few weeks

:bighug1:

jackdobs
13-09-15, 19:59
Your welcome mate ......pleased for you :D

It does take time to heal so dont worry if its still sore for a few weeks

:bighug1:

I was about to ask you about that..2 days on and I'm already thinking 'why isn't it shifting fast, why does my tongue still feel weird?' I still feel really conscious of my tongue when I'm speaking! Thanks for your help - I've been using listerine as well!

Greenman50
13-09-15, 21:37
Mines still feels a bit strange on the side like my tongue is to big or i,m to aware of it maybe .

Wish it would bugger off now