PDA

View Full Version : Prozac

ruth76
09-02-07, 17:23
Hi
Can anyone give me some advice. I am currently taking 20 mg prozac which i have been on for 3 years. Recently started having bad panic attacks and my doctor gave me beta blockers which made me feel much worse. My doctor now wants me to stop taking prozac and take cipramil i am scared of changing medication especially the side effects but really want the panic attacks to go away as i am becoming agrophobic and i have a 2 year old son to look after.
many thanks Ruth

JoJo24
09-02-07, 17:53
Hi Ruth,

I know what you mean about not wanting the side effects when you have the little one to look after but i have to say i felt like that when the doc first said to take my medication as i thought they would stop me being able to look after my 8 month old, but i was actually wrong, yes its hard when the anxiety and panic set in but actually the little one took my mind off things and i had to distract away from my mind, i know easier said than done!

Myabe its worth asking your doctor to up your dosage rather than a new drug??

But if you do decide to take the new drugs then try and arrange to stay with a relative/friend or they come to you for the first few days, that way if you get the side effects you can deal with them.

Ive been on my ones for 6 days and the first 4 days were hard but i made sure i was'nt alone, it helps to have company at your weak moments!!

Just remember panic is such an awful thing, but it DOES pass and it can't halm you! (even though you feel like it will)

Jo

ksmith
09-02-07, 20:13
Hi Ruth

I was on 20 mg prozac and had a 'relapse' and doctor suggested I up dosage to 40 mg. Perhaps you're better off sticking with the 'devil you know' than to embark on a new medication.

Kay x