PDA

View Full Version : Lump Behind Ear (Mastoid Bone)

ThePerfctSky
09-09-15, 07:36
Some please help. I was sat lastnight drying my hair and I noticed that my left mastoid bone felt more prominent and more hollow around the ear part and a tiny bit different (bumpier) that the right that one feels more "full". It doesnt feel the same one feel more prominent and the other is a little more flat i guess? Its not a massive difference at all but its there.

Is this just normal asymmetry or something to worry about?

Also I don't really want to go to the GPs because I am trying to stay away if i can as it makes my HA much worse and i am trying to not let my HA rule me.

daisyflower
09-09-15, 09:32
I have a lump on that bone that gets a bit bigger and sore sometimes. Showed the Dr once who said don't worry and now I just leave it alone. Just don't touch it x

ThePerfctSky
09-09-15, 09:53
Thank you for your reply its not really a lump it just feels a bit different to the other side. How long have you had yours? :)

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

Just don't touch it x

Thats easier said than done. I really wish I could take that advise so easy. :(

catsandnaps
09-09-15, 10:08
I've never checked until now, but mine feel different, too. I am not worried, though, because I don't think bodies are symmetrical -- it's not like we were poured into a mold and our bodies are perfectly even.
It is easy advice to just not worry about it, but it's hard to put that in action. I'm trying to do that with my health anxiety right now :shrug: I'm trying to get my mind moving -- for 5 minutes at a time I cannot think about my health, and I'm hoping to break my cycling thoughts.
Good luck, you can do this! I'm sending you lots of positive thoughts!!

ThePerfctSky
09-09-15, 10:45
catsandnaps thank you so much you are so lovely. Yeah its easy to know we arent symmetrical but its the fact that the HA fights this thought back and thats where the worry comes in isnt it? Im sure mines just normal asymmetry but like i say my anxiety does not want me to believe this! I have intense CBT starting in a few weeks ive been put on a waiting list and im finding it hard to cope at the moment but im trying so hard. Thanks again :)

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Anyone elses feel the same? One is more flat ones is more prominent i guess?! Any other help would be appreciated.

catsandnaps
09-09-15, 10:47
It's very odd that I can look at your HA, and think, yep, they are probably perfectly healthy. But when I look at myself, I think, I am so messed up! :doh: Health anxiety is the best deceiver I've ever seen! Keep posting on here, and keep hoping it will be better! And if you need me to check for any more misshaped spots on my head, I'm here for you :yesyes:

ThePerfctSky
09-09-15, 11:50
Awww thats so kind of you yeah me too I always give advice to others and say hey look its perfectly normal to have this and that then i feel something on my body and it has to be something sinister! I hate it its awfully hard to shake off! Even though youve told me yours feel different too im still prodding and feeling around :( even though one part od my brain is shouting at me that its normal to have some asymmetry. I mean its not even a big difference the other side just feels a little flatter and smoother but not much i think im feeling things that arent even real!

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

Anyone else's mastoid bone feel different from the opposite side? I would like to know this is quite normal?

Fishmanpa
09-09-15, 12:29
Human beings are not symmetrical. That's it. The answer to you question whether it's this bone you speak of, or arms, legs, boobs, balls, feet, hands, ears, eyes, etc. is that there will be slight differences from the left to the right in all of them.

Positive thoughts

ThePerfctSky
09-09-15, 12:51
Human beings are not symmetrical. That's it. The answer to you question whether it's this bone you speak of, or arms, legs, boobs, balls, feet, hands, ears, eyes, etc. is that there will be slight differences from the left to the right in all of them.

Positive thoughts

Thank you this is exactly what my good side of the brain tells me but the evil anxiety side tells me differently but I am going to take your words and forget about it and battle todays anxiety with positive thoughts.

daisyflower
09-09-15, 13:39
I've had it for as long as I can remember and I'm 29 now.

Give yourself a certain time of day that you can touch it and don't allow yourself to touch it until then.

This worry will disappear when you find something else to worry about, that's the horrid nature of HA x

ThePerfctSky
09-09-15, 13:52
Oh wow that long really?! Yeah that always happens i just forget all about it and then another worry comes up. Also I think things feel "worse" than they are when its in your mind does anyone else thing that too?