PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

Sue
14-09-04, 18:00
As you know, I will become redundant on 30th September, although not having worked since March due to panic/anxiety/depression etc etc it seems like just a date to me.

I am absolutely terrified about the prospest of finding a new job having worked for the same company since I was 16. I feel I really should be trying to do something as I know the longer I leave it the harder it will become and I could do with some money coming in! I dont want to eat too much in to the lump sum I will receive either if it can be helped.

Does any one know how my being off sick for the last 7 months will effect my chances when it comes to searching for a new job? Do I have to mention it on a CV/application form. If so, how on earth do you try to explain it to a potential employer. Also, do you think my time off sick would appear on a reference from my old employers. I have never had any time off sick prior to all this.

My mind cant seem to think about anything else and its really getting to me but as each day comes and goes I just cant bring myself to do anything about it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sue

Rennie1989
14-09-04, 18:27
I find it very hard to go to school everyday, even harder on a monday.

try going part time then when you feel confident go full time. but for now go for a few hours a day, 3 days a week. then after a while increase the working time

just a suggestion

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

seh1980
14-09-04, 18:31
hello there Sue,

I think that you will have to tell them about how you suffer from anxiety and panic attacks although I don't think that this will necessarily work against you. It must be very scary for you needing to find a job somwehere else when you have worked for the same company for so long...don't worry though, because there are loads of people out there who are going through the same things as you!! I do also agree that the longer you leave it, the harder it will be for you. Just remember that you know know what you are capable of and any good employer will immediately recognise that!!

Sarah :D

Merlinssister
14-09-04, 19:18
Hi Sue,

Depending where you live the local careers/Connexions service should be able to offer you some guidance about jobs and help with filling in the application forms etc, as will the job centre.

But don't rush yourself if you can afford to. As someone who has been made redundant you should be entitled to claim benefits. Work with the jobcentre and see if you can develop a long term plan. You might want to start with some voluntary work, which would be acceptable as long as you are looking for work at the same time. I'm not sure, but you may be better off claiming incapacity until you are able to work again, if the doctor will support that. If you can face it, pop into the job centre and ask their advice.

Hope that helps.

MS

KW
14-09-04, 19:57
Hi Sue

I had the same problem last year, I moved to be with my boyfriend but had to find work. I really didn't want to go for an interview so i visited an agency without making an appointment (they were happy to see me). They found me a temp job for 3 weeks, i then got offered the job permenantly. I would be honest about your anxiety, noone should hold that against you. Agency work doesn't always guarantee you the hours but it could lead to something permanent. They are there to help you find work so I'm sure they would be understanding. Just a thought....

KW

sarah
14-09-04, 21:51
Hi Sue

Ive just applied for and got a job after 18 months or so out of work. It was a sort of reccomendation but even so.....
I was totally honest about all the time I had off, all about my panic and how it sort of restricts me now (travel, big meetings etc). 5 minutes into the interview I stopped her and told her I wanted to start with a clean slate and let her decide from there so I told her the truth.
She was totally fine with it and even said that as the 1st 2 months would be working from home it might help me get back into things.

Now im not saying that all employers are like that but there are some good ones out there.

By telling them the truth, its a way of interviewing them to see if they are going to be understanding or not.

take care
love Sarah
xx

Sue
15-09-04, 15:39
Thank you all for your advice. I think you are right and to be honest I would prefer to tell them in many ways as there are still many things I cant do (like drive very far).

KW-yes I am thinking of going to an agency to try some temping work, in fact got as far as outside of building and then couldnt go in!

MS-I have been to see a lady at Connexions who was very nice and seemed to think I would have no problems, but I didnt tell her the problems I have had!

Sarah-Wow you have done really well, how do you find it now? Are you full time?

What I am still a little unsure about is whether I should put details on an application form or CV (which I am still trying to do!) or simply leave it til I see someone face to face? The danger with that is that I probably wouldnt be able to say it.

Sue

Merlinssister
15-09-04, 17:39
I think the best thing to do is to be as honest as possible. Application forms will ask, so put the info on there. CVs you can be more flexible with. You can decide, depending on the job, whether to put anything in the supporting letter or not.

Good luck!