PDA

View Full Version : How I turned my ALS fears into something positive

popejoan
09-09-15, 16:06
I have suffered from Health Anxiety for a long time. Last year was such a nightmare for me. After an abnormal smear test I started being so scared of cancer, different cancers. I had numerous of tests, sleepless nights, depression, anxiety and so on.

In January 2015 I started being scared of ALS/MND and it was the worst fear of my life. I put off writing my dissertation, almost lost my husband, my family. I gave myself rotator cuff tendonitis on both arms and I still suffer from them because of repetitive self strenght tests. I had 2 EMGs, MRIs, numerous neurology exams. I was told I was fine each time. I never believed it but now I do. I still twitch a lot but I'm not scared of ALS anymore, I don't think I have it and I know I'll probably never have it.

I graduated from Sociology and became a support worker. I deal with complex care patients including people with neurological disorder like ALS. In fact, I will be visiting my first MND patient tomorrow and I feel positive about it. I know it won't affect me in a bad way and I will do my best to support him because I've been through this fear and I have a huge empathy for ALS patients.

Several months ago I could not even say the word ALS, I avoided to talk about it because I thought if I talk about it, it will happen to me and now I am going to help a person with ALS.

I made peace with my HA and this was its gift to me. For those who are suffering from ALS fears, I want to let you know that you have the strength to get better and it is not that difficult.

Fishmanpa
09-09-15, 16:32
What an encouraging post to read PJoan! You sound like a new person!
Let's hope others can glean encouragement for your post. Keep up the good work!

Positive thoughts

GoWhiteSox
09-09-15, 17:51
congratulations on your great progress..this is a great post!

popejoan
10-09-15, 14:54
Thank you Fishmanpa and gowhitesox. I have no intention to go back into that nightmare again and I will do my best to help those in need. Also, anyone can feel free to message me if they need help.