PDA

View Full Version : Worried about tetnus and infection

Alice1
09-09-15, 18:44
Last Thursday (5 days ago) I accidentally stuck a Stanley knife in my hand. Went to minor injuries unit. She presumed I had all my tetnus shots (I haven't!), cleaned the wound and put butterfly stiches on it although it wasn't bleeding much.

She told me to leave the strips on for 5 days. On day two the wound reopened and bled again slightly through the strips but I left them on regardless of the dried blood.

I washed the strips off yesterday and placed a plaster on and washed it and dried it again today and placed another plaster on.

It doesn't look too red, only a tiny amount on one side of the cut. But it smells of vinegar quite a bit and I don't know why???

My temperature is normal, what on earth do I do, is this normal?

I'm terrified of getting tetnus or an infection and that I'm going to die. I'm so scared

countrygirl
09-09-15, 19:16
Infection would cause redness swelling and pus or foul smell. If it looks clean and dry with no excess redness then its very unlikely to be infected. The smell might be from the strips or what they used to clean the wound initially.

If you have had a full course of tetanus injections as a child and then two booster shots you are covered for life. Having excess tetanus injections is actually more dangerous.

Obviously if you are very concerned then go and see your Dr and get them to look at the wound, ask them how many tetanus shots you have had and if necessary they can give you a booster.

Alice1
09-09-15, 20:17
Infection would cause redness swelling and pus or foul smell. If it looks clean and dry with no excess redness then its very unlikely to be infected. The smell might be from the strips or what they used to clean the wound initially.

If you have had a full course of tetanus injections as a child and then two booster shots you are covered for life. Having excess tetanus injections is actually more dangerous.

Obviously if you are very concerned then go and see your Dr and get them to look at the wound, ask them how many tetanus shots you have had and if necessary they can give you a booster.

I definitely didn't have the two boosters and maybe not even the three to begin with, although the first one I probably did have.

My neck is feeling stiff and I'm worried the tetnus is starting.

I've washed the wound since so its definitely the wound and not the dressing

I might go to the minor unit centre tomorrow morning, will I die from tetnus in one night.

Fishmanpa
09-09-15, 20:55
Was the knife sitting in dirt or manure? If not, then I wouldn't sweat it.

Positive thoughts

Alice1
09-09-15, 23:47
Was the knife sitting in dirt or manure? If not, then I wouldn't sweat it.

Positive thoughts

The Stanley knife had a lot of ink and superglue on it and was used in a lab at work (however probably didn't come into contact with anything biological I don't think).

The lady at the walk in centre said 'Have you had a tetanus shot' and then before I could answer said 'Yes, yes, I'm sure you would have' and I was a bit flustered and didn't think to correct her until I started smelling this vinegary smell and analysed the situation today.

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

My neck and limbs and back keep feeling stiff. I'm so scared please help.

Fishmanpa
09-09-15, 23:49
With all due respect Alice...

What can anyone do in the virtual world of an internet forum to help? If nothing anyone can say will help, just go to the ER.

Positive thoughts

countrygirl
10-09-15, 12:29
Having known someone who survived tetanus I can say that they were dangerously ill very quickly. He is one of only a few to survive full blown tetanus and he caught it from the inside of a very dead sheep! ( Farmer)

Sounds like you won't be calmer until you have had reassurance from medical professional about this so please so and talk to someone. They can give you an booster if necessary or a immunoglobin shot again if they think its necessary but I am absolutely certain you don't need either.