PDA

View Full Version : Skin Biopsy

Booboo111
09-09-15, 22:57
Had my yearly dermatology appointment. Showed my dr a reddish spot on my face that is where my mom had basal cell removed. He looked at it with a magnifying scope and said well, there is something there that's not a pimple, but it could be rosacea or the beginning of an age spot, or.... And I stopped him m right there and said just biopsy it. He said yes he agreed, because he has some concern based on my family history. I'm 29, almost 30. I've only been good about sun care the last few years after my health anxiety developed when my daughter was born in 2013. Never had it a day before that, but it came on strong after her and here I am.

He said it could be nothing and even if it is basal cell - and it didn't have the potential to be any other kind than that - I would have an in-office procedure to remove it and I would be fine. Obviously I'm still scared and anxious as I've ever been, but i have to listen to him when he says I will be ok, right? My mom has had multiple removed, as long as 15 years ago, so I'll be fine. Still sucks though......

If anyone has any personal or even family experience with this - basal cell or a biopsy that was thought to be something and turned out to be nothing, I would very much appreciate your feedback!!!

Booboo111
10-09-15, 16:21
Anyone?? I hate bumping my own post but I would be so grateful for any advice/feedback. Thank you.

flinn
12-09-15, 08:34
Hi, I have just been through the skin biopsy process for a small red patch behind my left ear. Dermatologist thought it was either a superficial basel cell carcinoma or a actinic keratoses ( Bowens). Biopsy showed it was the keratoses,non malignant. The treatment for the Basel cell and Bowens is the same, Bowens if left untreated can in some cases develop into a skin cancer.

I have to say on a personal note that I was relatively happy with either diagnosis, as both are very low risk as far as spreading in concerned and both are very easy to treat. I have started a course of topical cream, which I have to apply every night for 5 weeks, wiping it off with soapy water first thing in the morning. Also have to wear a wide brimmed hat during treatment when out. The actinic keratoses was the result of sun damage over many years.

The dermatologist said that the expected outcome for either the Basel cell or the Bowens for me and almost everyone she treats for similar is complete removal of the problem, with low risk of re-occurance.

Traceypo
12-09-15, 08:42
I have nothing to add to this hun, but a point you've made in your post interests me. I've read so many posts from people stating their anxiety begun after the birth of a child. Mine was also triggered by that, wouldn't it be good if during our pro-natal care we were given warning about this so we could have recognised the signs and tried to break the cycle before we all got to this point.
X

Booboo111
12-09-15, 13:54
Thank you both very much for your replies. IT WAS BENIGN!!! I guess it was an irritated papule below the skin, but even the dermatologist had concerns. So what a lesson to me, and others like me, that we should NEVER worry until we absolutely have to, and even then we can look to other things. I'm so thankful it was nothing.... But I will admit that this horrible condition that is health anxiety
Has now tried to make me focus on a small bump that is on my scalp - which I think has been there for years, but with HA, it makes you forgot or even refuse to recognize rational thoughts - and I forgot to show it to the dermatologist when I was there because we got distracted by the biopsy..... But NO WAY, I'm going to fight against that negative thought that is health anxiety trying to
Creep in and ruin the positive high I am on receding a benign biopsy result. :yesyes: Thanks again for your responses; I really appreciate them. And yes, after the birth of a child is a theme I've seen, specifically in women. A burden to bear, but one so we worth it, really. Peace and love and positive thinking to everyone on here!!