PDA

View Full Version : Cat Scratch

mal1230
10-09-15, 03:50
I experienced my first bout with health anxiety in December and was sick for 3 months, probably because my anxiety was making me sick. I got over it and was fine until now. 4 weeks ago, I got a new kitten from a rescue. He was sick, which I didn't know until after I got him (he had conjunctivitis and an ear infection). He scratched me pretty good a few times (not maliciously), but then I found out he didn't have his rabies vaccination. I immediately took him to be vaccinated, but if he had rabies, it would've been too late.

I know almost all rabies cases are transmitted through bites, but I can't help but panic. The kitten isn't exhibiting rabies symptoms - just acting like a normal kitten. I also read that animals can only transmit the virus a few days before they start showing symptoms and the most recent scratch was well over a week ago (last Sunday). I have a sinus infection, but I'm getting excess saliva (which could also be from the anxiety) and I'm attributing EVERY symptom to rabies. I've been to multiple doctors and the hospital and they all said no, but seemed to brush me off a bit because of my anxiety.

Any ideas on how to get over this? Thank you so much!

Annie0904
10-09-15, 12:34
The only way you can get over this is by believing the doctors. If they thought there was even the slightest risk of you contracting rabies they would have done something about. You have nothing to worry about.

sial72
10-09-15, 14:46
Ditto, as above x

Pinkharts9
10-09-15, 18:18
I worked at an animal shelter for years & have been scratched by man cats. You wouldn't get rabies from a cat scratch. Rabies is rare in animals, a lot more rare than you might think. But regardless, the scratch would not make you sick. And if the kitten was sick, you would know it by now. He's not & you're not either. Everything is ok.