PDA

View Full Version : Just need a little support and advice

Lyrica
10-09-15, 12:33
So I'm starting University this month. I've not been in education since 2012 when I completed a BTEC at college. So I've been to the university open day, and a day that helps you with essay writing. Both days I was so terrified. I found it difficult to make conversation with anyone and basically tried to hide from answering any questions. Everyone there seems so clever and confident. No one in my family has ever gone to university. I'm so afraid I'm not smart enough to be there. So much pressure to do well and I just feel very afraid. I'm not on any medication for my anxiety at the moment. I don't have anyone to talk to. My induction is on the 21st I'm so afraid.

sial72
10-09-15, 14:57
Hi, I'm sure that once you start and meet people and feel at home in the space it will be much better.
Don't ever be embarassed, you are all there to learn and all these people who come accross as so confident...most of my friends come accross as extremely confident and let me assure you that most of them are not.
Good luck x

23tana
10-09-15, 15:14
The Student Union can give you support and there will be a counselling/psychology service too if you need it.

As Sial72 says, there will be lots of people just as nervous as you. The first year is a settling in time. You'll do fine. Try to enjoy it.

Lyrica
10-09-15, 21:15
Thanks everyone. I know I'm bound to be nervous. But with an anxiety disorder everything just feels 10 times worse. I'm trying to stay optimistic it's a good opportunity. I've been trying to go to university since I was 18 and every time I've bottled it and not gone through with it. I'm 23 now I don't want to put it off anymore because of fear. I came home from work tonight and had a good cry. Maybe it's what I needed