PDA

View Full Version : Light headedness but not feeling anxious

damianjmcgrath
10-09-15, 18:13
I was wondering if someone could identify with my current symptoms, which would reassure me.

For the majority of the day, I feel a bit light headed. It varies in intensity, seemingly at random. It sometimes makes sitting in a chair with no arms arty work difficult. I've never fainted but feel close sometimes.

Occasionally, with it, I'll get fast heart and a general all over rushing feeling, sort of like a tingly feeling. It's tough to describe, but it's like when you eat a lemon - your mouth and inside your cheeks tingle, your body shivers a bit, you feel like somethings crawling over your skin, and generally feel on edge a bit. It feels like I'm slightly shaking all over, almost like muscle shakes. I also get quite hot, but not a normal heat. It's like a prickly, flushy heat you get when you have a cold or flu. Almost like a shivery heat, if that makes any sense. My face gets hot to the touch. I'm not sure what causes that.

My main question is - this is relatively new for me, and the confusing element is that I don't feel anxious. I could be sat in the sun quite relaxed and happy, then suddenly get light headed. I probably do focus on it once it's happened but I don't feel anxious before. It's not like I'm only symptomatic during anxious times. It seems to be random.

I don't notice a change in my breathing. I read that breathing more shallow causes the light headedness but I don't notice myself breathing differently before I feel light headed.

It can strike out of nowhere, then last for ages.

I'm assuming it's caused by subconscious anxiety, but if that's true, how do I stop it? I told my doctor who ran some full bloods to check for other things but it came back normal.

Does anyone else get something similar, especially when you're not feeling anxious? The absence of feeling anxious made me feel like maybe it's not anxiety!

And more importantly, does anyone have any tips for reducing the light headedness especially when in a work situation where you can't do any obvious breathing techniques or go and rest somewhere?

Thanks in advance

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:10 ----------

As a side note, I tend to get more light headed when I'm tired. The problem is, with anxiety, I'm pretty tired all the time. Perhaps I need to think of ways to deal with the tiredness?

sial72
10-09-15, 21:26
Sometimes days after feeling anxious we can get physical symptoms from all the tension that has built up. In my case tension build up in my neck can make me lightheaded xxx

damianjmcgrath
10-09-15, 22:39
Sometimes if I'm going to a work meeting, i.e. a potentially socially anxious event, I'll get light headed but I won't feel anxious. It's like I'm subconsciously anxious without feeling it, and then I get symptoms. It's pretty rubbish.

damianjmcgrath
11-09-15, 15:45
I try and reassure myself that if I have 3 bad days then 3 good days, it can't be a proper problem, it must be anxiety. I'm not sure if that's medically true but hopefully it is

Velociraptor
13-09-15, 21:46
Hello there. I just wanted to let you know that I created an account on this forum just to reply to this. I have been having the exact same symptoms as you, and have been worrying about them a fair amount.
I assumed maybe I was coming down with something. I was planning on seeing a doctor soon if it kept happening.
Please keep me updated on how things turn out with you.
All the best
Dan :)

damianjmcgrath
13-09-15, 22:11
Hi,
Thanks for your post. You may well be coming down with something normal, like a cold or a virus or something. Nothing major. You might also be tired, or getting eye strain from looking at laptops, etc. Any number of reasons.

I've seen a few doctors, about my light headedness and general heart health anxieties, and all the doctors, both NHS and private, say it's anxiety, so right now, I'm just living with the light headedness. I'm not taking any medication but maybe I'll look into it.

It's a weird type of light headedness. It's not overwhelming dizzy, it's more like a general brain fogginess or like someone has spun me around a few times. It's not major dizziness but it's very slightly off balance.

My plan of attack is to just ignore it, and get on with things and see what happens. I don't really have a better plan than that!

sial72
13-09-15, 22:16
Your plan is actually very good, and you don't need a better one because ignoring is how you will get better. Good luck xx

damianjmcgrath
13-09-15, 22:35
I've got to say, Sial, that generally, I'm decent at ignoring symptoms and getting on with things. I had to travel 2 hours for a work team building day, so that was 9 hours long, plus a stay over with everyone, then a few hours in the morning, then the drive home. I had some symptoms and was able to ignore them and get on with the day.

However, I find, out of every symptom, the light headedness is the most difficult to ignore. Chest pain, for example, can be ignored as it doesn't stop me moving, breathing or focusing on other stuff. Light headedness really raises the panic, but it also makes focusing on stuff almost impossible, and even walking can be slightly tricky. I need a better plan for being able to ignore it, so if anyone has any tips, that'd be great.