PDA

View Full Version : Out of control anxiety, health and general!

TiredofWorrying
11-09-15, 17:27
Hello all!
I have been looking on this site for a long time, and I finally decided to give it a try to see if it helps! I have horrible, crippling anxiety that mostly affects me when I'm alone during the day (while kids and hubby are gone). Mostly health anxiety, which leads to me convincing myself that I'm going to die of cancer or another catastrophic illness. I can easily spend the entire day googling symptoms, and have convinced myself that I've had many illnesses- ovarian cancer, lymphoma, MS, breast cancer, uterine cancer, melanoma, etc.. I feel like my symptoms are real, but will not see a GP out of fear of confirmation. I went last year after the breast cancer scare, which led to a clean scan and a prescription for ativan after I had panic attacks the following week. Since then, I've only taken 1 of those pills. I don't want to feel sleepy, I want to feel normal and relaxed.

I also have anxiety not related to health. I am constantly convinced my husband is cheating on me, even after meticulously searching his phone and Ipad over and over again. I constantly feel compelled to ask him questions to reassure myself, which he used to be patient about- now not so much. When in social or stressful situations, I have uncontrollable face and neck flushing, which is embarrassing! My throat feels like someone's hands are around it when I think about anything remotely upsetting.

It helps to know that there are others with the same issues, especially when nobody seems to understand how real my feelings are- even if I know they are probably irrational, I can't help it. My household has recently had many major changes and events- my Grandma was terminally ill, my husband was laid off, we had to move to a new city, and nothing is the same. I know that probably enhances my feelings, so my hope is that it will all go away soon. My kids deserve a Mom who is not constantly inattentive due to my daily anxious preoccupations!

Thank you for listening!!

venusbluejeans
11-09-15, 17:35
Hiya TiredofWorrying and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Pepperpot
11-09-15, 19:11
Hi and welcome :)
This site is brilliant - there's always someone who has experienced what you're going through. As for the throat thing, well that's how I feel 24/7. Truly horrid x

sial72
11-09-15, 20:47
Hi there and welcome
Sorry you are going through sooo much anxiety. What caught my attention is that you are so inside the anxiety cycle that you can't focus your attention outwards, you are completely focused on yourself and your symptoms. When I was like that I was recommended exercise and meditation. I took up swimming which helped me a lot and I was not capable of meditating so I do those Relaxation drawing books, they are a fantastic way to stop the mind. And last but not least, Clair Weekes books xx

pinklady1969
19-09-15, 14:37
Hi I feel the same way as you.....I want to live a happy life but my anxiety always gets in the way. Mine is health anxiety mainly started eight years ago when I nursed my dad through his cancer....now every time I get ill I'm in a panic thinking I'm going to get it....my dad died of menaloma in the bowel....I have found a new Mole on my toe and i'm freaking out even though the doctor has told me it doesn't look much to worry about. I'm that bad he is referring me to a demontologist asap.......because he knows what I'm like. I'm taking pics of it every day just to check it....even though is only the size of a very small blood blister. I hate feeling like this....wish it would just go away :(

viv1
19-09-15, 20:49
sial72 are the Clare weekes books good ? I've just ordered 2 of her audio books, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the reading books...

sial72
19-09-15, 21:25
sial72 are the Clare weekes books good ? I've just ordered 2 of her audio books, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the reading books...

I have found them to be extremely helpful. I have an audio book. I downloaded it onto my phone and some years ago when I used to be afraid of flying and travelling by train I would put on my headphones and listen to it.
You do have to follow her advice for it to work. I hope it helps you as much as it did me xx