PDA

View Full Version : just want to feel normal

dave01
09-02-07, 21:40
Hi everyone, i would just like to feel normal again it's been so long now that to be honest i don't really know what ''NORMAL'' feels like, every day right now seems to be an anxious blur.
Until recently i believed that my anxiety was only affecting my subconscious thoughts but i now believe my anxiety is affecting my conscious thoughts and behaviours, can anxiety really affect this way and to such a debilitating level
Any advice about this would be so welcome.

Thanx
Dave.

d.jones

Insomniac
09-02-07, 22:01
Hi Dave.

Sorry to hear you're feeling bad. The anxiety can certainly affect your life in all sorts of ways. Its hard not to give into it, but try not to let it restrict your life too much. It will make things difficult sometimes, but keep telling yourself that you will not let it take over, and you are going to be in control.

As for "normal", what IS that anyway? I don't know anyone who is! Everyone has their moments, just some are more visible than others.

Lisa.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

cattttt
09-02-07, 23:31
Hi dave, I can relate to that, it would be so good to get up in the morning and not feel anxious, and be able to do things I've done in the past without a thought. Anxiety can do all sorts of wierd things to you. It's hard work being anxious, it really wears you out. Be kind to yourself and take life a bit easier, you aren't as well as you were.

bearcrazy
10-02-07, 20:04
Hi Dave,

Know just how you feel. i've been saying this for ages too. But what is normal, I've forgotten, having had GAD for so long. Just know I dont want to feel scared exhausted and sad any more.
Hope you feel better soon,
TC x

sal
10-02-07, 23:39
Hi Dave

Just how i felt when i was really ill, i wanted to be Sal again. Its taken a few years and i am me again, not the same Sal but a stronger person and it does come in time. I still have bad days when i want to be normal as i forget how far i have come.

You will get there mate trust me.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

dave01
11-02-07, 11:29
Just wanted to say thanx guys for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate it very much.

Thanx again
Dave.

d.jones

davidthegnome
12-02-07, 00:24
Dave, you've got a great name. It's mine too.

I've had that same feeling on numerous occasions. At times I've even wept and told people "I just want to be me again, damnit, I want to go back to normal. I just want this anxiety to go away." Some times saying how we feel or letting the tears flow can help bring release. Some times it brings more discomfort or even depression.

A wise man suggested to me that I try to change my attitude about the anxiety. Rather than focusing on the suffering or the symptoms, try to think of how I can accept it. Try to think of a way in which it has improved me, of any way in which it is positive. I can list off a few. I've lost weight (was quite chunky before), am eating much better than ever before and have become a much more compassionate and empathetic person than ever in the past.

Above all though, I am learning. My goal in life is to become a great healer, perhaps a psychiatrist, perhaps a natural healer. I'm learning all I can about different therapies, natural and otherwise. I know that, one day, when I am fully recovered (I know it's coming, because I'm getting better now, much better than before) I will have many more tools and a great deal more knowledge and information to help those in need.

It has also made me much more humble and I tend not to judge others as much as I once did. There are good things even about these "disorders" that we suffer with. I know it can be hard to find anything positive about it, like trying to see a little light when you're surrounded by darkness. Light a match bud, you can do it, there's always something positive to be found in any situation. It may take time to find, but it's there. It could be anything at all.

Further, you can be sure that this will pass in time. Do everything you can to help yourself, exercise, watch your diet and try any therapy you can or think will help. You may feel a bit right now like anxiety is ruling your life, but in truth it is thought patterns and worry. Don't fall into the trap of thinking there's no way out or that it will last forever. You will get better, anxiety does not rule you, anxious thoughts may bother you a lot, panic attacks may really suck, but they don't control you. Always, it is you who is able to make the decisions of what to do throughout the day, no matter what those decisions are.

God bless you Dave, I hope you feel better soon. Believe me, that wish will be granted in time, just keep holding on and trying to think positive.

David