PDA

View Full Version : Acid Reflux

Jamie123
13-09-15, 00:46
I believe I have acid reflux as after I eat and drink when I lie down for about an hour I burp and feel water and other liquids coming back up into my throat and although I dont often have heart burn or dysphagia I have become worried I have GERD which I know can cause Barretts esophagus which scares me as this is apparently a risk factor for cancer of the esophagus which worries me.I dont have severe symptoms and I can live perfectly well with them even sometimes without noticing them after meals and drinking (when its usually most frequent) but the risk is what worries me. Does anyone have any information on this which could stop me worrying?

23tana
13-09-15, 16:38
If you lie down straight after eating, food and drink will flow back up your oesophagus simply from gravity. Try to stay up for at least 1/2 hour after eating.

JustJoe25
13-09-15, 18:34
I have GERD as well and I believe that the risk of developing Barrett's is pretty low. Yes GERD is a risk factor but I believe the percentage is still very low. I forget the exact percentage though. Try to not eat late at night and stay up 2-3 hours after eating. Also avoid greasy food and sodas as best you can. I'm not saying you have to completely give them up but at least try avoid eating that food before laying down. If you have to eat closer to bed try sticking to lighter foods.