PDA

View Full Version : Been on Sertraline for 4 months.. Can't feel emotion?

azavinnie
13-09-15, 10:29
Hey, so a bit of my back story. I'm 23 and I suffered from agoraphobia for about 3-4 years and didn't leave my house apart from when absolutely necessary. Recently (Start of 2015) I forced myself to go out, I got a job and started getting in contact and going out with old friends. A few weeks prior to me starting my new job I started getting panic attacks about my health (not being able to feel my heart beating mainly) - I've since been told I've got health anxiety. I think this was brought on because I forced myself to go out so suddenly.

Anyway, I went to the hospital several times and they done blood work, ECG's, blood pressure etc and every time it has come back fine.. however the panic attacks continued. So I went to my GP and she said it was anxiety and put me on Sertaline for the first month I was on 25mg and for about 4 months now I've been on 50mg. The panic attacks kind of stopped (although at night it can still get bad) but I feel void of all emotion.. I can't laugh sincerely any more, I can't cry, I can't even get angry.. I feel numb or as if there is a constant pit in my stomach stopping me from experiencing emotion. What sucks is now that I'm finally out I'm meeting all of my old friends but I can't have fun with them, I'm trying to date too but it's not going too well because I can't connect with anyone due to this very issue.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask if anyone had any advice for me? Should I ask my doctor if I can slowly come off of Sertraline? Is there another medication that treats anxiety but doesn't leave you without emotion? Because if I'm honest not experiencing any kind of emotion is far worse then the anxiety I suffered In my opinion.

spawn
13-09-15, 12:22
Hi, ive found with a few AD's including Sert that the lose of emotions and numbness is a kind of trail off the meds. It's a common thing I'm afraid.
I would feel numb for weeks at a time and then have bursts of feeling over the top hyper.
This is not me, I can quite relate to what you are going through. Maybe speak to your doctor? Gav

musiclover
23-09-15, 19:39
Hi Azavinnie, how are you? I have also had this problem but I've had it start whilst on the medication and this time it started when I went back on it! I'm going to talk to someone as I'm not sure if it's an issue with my emotional wellbeing or the meds. How is your appetite?

wubu
24-09-15, 18:21
I too am similar to this but don't mind it. It's mainly made me careless about general stress but can still get bad anxiety. My gp said I should go up to 100mg but am unsure.