PDA

View Full Version : First flight -long haul 😱

Mogwog
13-09-15, 11:55
Hi

I am going to Florida in 2 weeks (taking our son to Disney world) I am looking forward to it but have never flown before, the only part of flying I am worried about is taking off, people have said its like a roller coaster and I hate them. I also hate feeling/being sick, I get I a huge panic so am worried I will sick when the plane takes off.
My lovely doctor has prescribed me 14 2mg diazepam tablets. Just wanted to hear from other first time/nervous flyers who found diazepam helped.

Thank you

Xxxx

23tana
13-09-15, 12:44
Diazepam does help. It takes about 20 minutes to work, so maybe take one just as you are called to the gate. That should cover you for take off.

Your ears may pop with the change of air pressure as the plane rises. Take some sweets to suck on from when the plane starts to move on the runway. They help.

Music, a magazine or a game to play with your son - anything that keeps your mind occupied will help throughout the flight.

Have a great time!

sial72
13-09-15, 14:11
Hi Mogwog
Yes, the Diazepam will help. Take off is so quick and once you know it you will be cruising.
I went to Disney World in 1982 lol, fantastic! Enjoy it!!! Xx

swgrl09
13-09-15, 14:59
I used to be afraid on flights until I did it a lot of times and got used to it. Taking off isn't that bad - I am more afraid of roller coasters than planes taking off!! It can be nerve-wracking more than anything if you are anxious, but the actual take off really doesn't last that long. Once you are in the air, it is quite smooth.

Enjoy Disney!!

Jimpy
13-09-15, 21:37
Really smooth acceleration not the quick speed of a rollercoaster , doesn't feel that way to me anyway, I've always been a nervous flyer but the tablets do help :) and flying is genuinely an amazing thing to experience and I am always glad I did it as I am sure you will be. I have also been to Disney world in Florida and it is wonderful :):) have a great time :)

Mogwog
14-09-15, 15:44
Thank you all for replying. I have just bought the Allen Carr book " The easy way to enjoy flying" so hopefully that will help too. It's because I hate to feel sick and everyone says my stomach will turn when we take off 😷xxxxx

sial72
14-09-15, 16:00
Mogwog that book is the one that helped me put my fear of flying into the past...after I had spent over 300 pounds on. British Airways coutse grrrrr!!!

Mogwog
14-09-15, 17:04
😀 It got so many good reviews I had to give it a try, only a little way through so far but I really like it!!!! 😁xx

emily67
14-09-15, 17:09
hope you have a great time in disneyworld.

the only thing i can say about flying, is remember the crew on the plain know what they are doing, and they are experienced. i'm sure if you were to ask 1 of them for reasurance you'll get it

Mogwog
14-09-15, 17:14
Thank you Emily, I'm definitely going to tell the, it's my first flight and I'm nervous. My husband has kindly bought me some noise cancelling headphones too as he knows I'm not going to like the sounds of the engines .xxx

emily67
14-09-15, 17:21
Thank you Emily, I'm definitely going to tell the, it's my first flight and I'm nervous. My husband has kindly bought me some noise cancelling headphones too as he knows I'm not going to like the sounds of the engines .xxx

do you have something to do on the flight?

can you perhaps read a book.

1 thing that you should think about.. that if you read (or do something else on the flight), it gives you something else to focus on- not just the anxiety

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

on a slightly unrelated note, i actually have the queue times for the disney parks in case that ever interested you- so you know how busy it is likely to be