PDA

View Full Version : what animal would you suggest?

emily67
13-09-15, 16:12
question:

what animal would you suggest to someone who wants a pet, but may not be able to give it a lot of time/ attention?

was reading somewhere about getting a pet (actually on this forum) and it sounds like a great idea

i just forget to look after myself sometimes and i'm worried that would happen if i got a pet

but their must be some pets out their that i could think about

suggestions?

23tana
13-09-15, 16:49
Any animal kept in captivity requires time and attention -- feeding, grooming, bed cleaning etc. and costs for vets fees and injections.

A cat might be more independent if it can get in and out for itself, but it still requires all the above care. Also, a cat may stray if it is not receiving the care it needs.

What is it that you hope to gain by having a pet?

Greenman50
13-09-15, 16:49
All need fresh water / food everyday .....thinking maybe hamster / house guinea pig quite easy to keep .

Good thing is the feeding / water bottles you top up daily but if you forgot for a day or so there is still plenty in there , and a clean once a week .

Some are best in pairs / groups so they give each other company , the more you handle them the tamer they become .

Some info here...

http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rodents/guineapigs

It gives you a good feeling and a purpose to look after a pet go for it !

emily67
13-09-15, 17:07
Any animal kept in captivity requires time and attention -- feeding, grooming, bed cleaning etc. and costs for vets fees and injections.

A cat might be more independent if it can get in and out for itself, but it still requires all the above care. Also, a cat may stray if it is not receiving the care it needs.

What is it that you hope to gain by having a pet?

hi,
that's true.

i'm not saying i can't look after an animal, just that i can't give lots of time to it

so for example, it's no good me owning a horse- because i have to groom it every day, ride it, feed it, build it a stable.. if it's a pet that requires maybe looking after once a day i can handle that

i guess i'm after a pet that will give me companionship (i live alone), is active- i don't want a pet that's just gonna sit in it's cage and do nothing, and something that is nice to look at (you know, when i need something positive to look at to calm down)

maybe it would be a good idea if the pet in question was small. i've not exactly got a mantion to put it in (lol)

swgrl09
13-09-15, 17:10
I answered on your other thread before realizing you started this ... my cat is very low maintenance and independent. I just feed her, give her water, and scoop the litterbox every day. She basically takes care of herself with grooming, etc. We have toys for her and she comes to me when she wants to snuggle. But very easy to take care of and is fine if I am out for the day for work.

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

For example - she is just chilling out next to me while I surf the net or watch TV. Nice companionship to have.

emily67
13-09-15, 17:48
I answered on your other thread before realizing you started this ... my cat is very low maintenance and independent. I just feed her, give her water, and scoop the litterbox every day. She basically takes care of herself with grooming, etc. We have toys for her and she comes to me when she wants to snuggle. But very easy to take care of and is fine if I am out for the day for work.

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

For example - she is just chilling out next to me while I surf the net or watch TV. Nice companionship to have.

thanks.

from what i've read, i honestly think that a cat might be the way to go

ricardo
13-09-15, 18:22
I would always say a dog and certain breeds are more people friendly than others, but that's not suitable in your case and reading the above swgrl09 seems to have got it right with a cat.

Before getting involved with rescue dogs we had siamese cats, the males actually act a lot like dogs, but they are quite expensive to buy and their favourite food are prawns.

vicky23
13-09-15, 19:39
Hi,
I agree with the cat option. I just got a mother and her kitten from a rescue centre. If you do decide to go ahead please go to a rescue centre and adopt- either a kitten or an older cat. There are sooo many kittens and cats who are abandoned now who need homes, it's such a lovely feeling as well to know you're giving a good home to an animal.
Cats are good for your mental health cos their purrs are stress relieving and when you pet them, feel good hormones are released.
SO find your local shelter through google, go visit and fall in love with the gorgeous kitties!
X

emily67
14-09-15, 09:35
Hi,
I agree with the cat option. I just got a mother and her kitten from a rescue centre. If you do decide to go ahead please go to a rescue centre and adopt- either a kitten or an older cat. There are sooo many kittens and cats who are abandoned now who need homes, it's such a lovely feeling as well to know you're giving a good home to an animal.
Cats are good for your mental health cos their purrs are stress relieving and when you pet them, feel good hormones are released.
SO find your local shelter through google, go visit and fall in love with the gorgeous kitties!
X

hello vicky23,

sorry for the late response (i noticed this was posted early evening yesterday, and i've only just got on)

anyway, what you suggest about adopting a pet is a great idea. it would make you feel good

i'm seeing the adverts all the time.. thousands of adopted cats and dogs seeking homes- will you be that person who gives them a home?

also the programme recently on ITV.. give a pet a home, only goes with what you were saying. so many out their

you've also given me an idea- have anyone on here adopted other animals?. for example, you get the adverts- adopt 1 of the few remaining tigers and get special updates, adopt a dolphin, adopt a donkey- i know that's only writing and updates, but maybe it's something to think about. especially if i'm worried about not being able to provide a pet a proper home.

23tana
14-09-15, 09:47
Years ago I adopted a baby elephant. I got pictures and write-ups regularly and really felt part of it's life. It was good to know I was helping protect an endangered animal.

blue moon
14-09-15, 09:53
I did the same,adopted panda bear at the zoo here:D

emily67
14-09-15, 10:07
Years ago I adopted a baby elephant. I got pictures and write-ups regularly and really felt part of it's life. It was good to know I was helping protect an endangered animal.

awww, that's nice

and do you still adopt it?

what happened to the elephant

23tana
14-09-15, 10:57
I don't still adopt it as it grew up and was rehabilitated back into the wild. It is now part of a herd roaming free, which is fantastic.

emily67
14-09-15, 11:00
I don't still adopt it as it grew up and was rehabilitated back into the wild. It is now part of a herd roaming free, which is fantastic.

aww that's lovely

gotta love those stories where animals end up in their own habitat happy and content

23tana
14-09-15, 11:05
Here's the link if you are interested:

https://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/

emily67
14-09-15, 20:43
Here's the link if you are interested:

https://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/

tomorrowi 'm totally going to look at that.

make sure of it in fact.

yvonne_uk_98
15-09-15, 20:07
I would say a cat, I have two cats, they are 1 years old, my they are both good company, Misty is more affectionate, she goes out, I clean their cat litter trays every day, feed them, give them fresh water every day. they both have toys, they bring their toys to me to let me know they want to play. I out during the day. when I get they both are there at the door waiting on me coming in.

emily67
23-09-15, 09:39
an update on this (was meant to post sooner)

i decided, (for now at least), to donate £2 a month to the donkey place to help all the donkeys that need rescuing.

i just can't look after an animal right now, and i'd hate to see it suffer.. so if i do this for now, i know i'm helping- and not neglecting any pets

x

Torimori
23-09-15, 10:42
I've got a chihuahua x bichon frise and he is a little cutie. Keeps me company when hubby is at work and little ones in bed but he does need quite a lot of attention. He's only little so doesn't need many walks and he has a big garden to play in several times a day.

I don't know what i would do without him now - he's like a member of the family x