PDA

View Full Version : Hospitalization for depression

Adam27286
14-09-15, 12:06
My mother has been depressed for around 5 years and she is not imporving on Medications currently ( 30 mg remeron at night and 10 mg Cipralex in the morning ) the doctor is saying that she should have ECT treatement and also he mentioned another option which is treatment in the hospital for 2 weeks.
The treatment in the hosptial includes feeding medications straight to the veins, it is like an intensive medication therapy . My question is does any one know about this method and which one is better is it ECT or treatment at the hospital as the Doctor suggested

MrAndy
14-09-15, 13:42
Hi Adam
sorry to hear you troubles it must be very worrying.
I was admitted to hospital for 3 months with anxiety and depression,they keep a very close eye on you and monitor you meds and behaviour every hour
I think only a psychiatric doctor can answer which is the best therapy but ECT is usually used as a last resort

Adam27286
14-09-15, 17:18
Thanks a lot Mrandy , we have to make a decision tomorrow but as you said we will keep the ECT as a last resort
I think a two weeks break in the hospital will be good

MrAndy
15-09-15, 09:24
what they aim to do in hospital is stabilise you so you are ready for the outside world again.Its a slow progress but with yours and the doctors support she can get through this