PDA

View Full Version : Sorry me again, blood test and lab question

Jem27
10-02-07, 07:56
When bloods are tested if there was a problem, such as a high white count in a full blood count would the lab highlight it for the dr? I am worrying because im feeling so ill, ive woken up full of cold, weak, chesty & feeling sick. This is the 3rd time in 3 weeks ive felt so rough. I know the kids keep getting colds but I don't normally ever pick up anything they have, i had a sickness bug once in 5 yrs!!!

I am starting to worry about cancers again as im so rundown, when I rung for my results they said my blood count was fine and that my ferritin although low was going up. I don't know which dr checked it but im thinking if its my GP he knows im a worrier so wouldn't tell me if something was slightly raised. Very silly of me of course but thats why im worrying. My husband said the lab would spot it and alert the dr asap but i thought the lab techs just sent the results on and it was up to the dr to spot an abnormality.

Can anyone make me feel better about this? I feel so run down today, full of cold, dizzy and feel weak. Its its not cancer im freaking ive a brain tumour because I had headaches and light headedness all week:(

Sorry to post again, id appreciate any help. Im feeling so rundown and trying to fight me anxiety with having 3 children to look after is tough.

Jaco45er
10-02-07, 09:46
Hiya Jem

Normally, when blood is sent to the pathology lab, its the priority cases that are highlighted to the doc first. I waited 2 weeks for a result to do with, well I can't remember now, I was worrying about so much I think they tested for everything.

After 2 weeks of waiting in agony, yes, that anxiety agony, I called the docs and got her to call me when she had a minute, only to find out, " ahhh MR ***** the blood tests are fine", she then explained that the path lab would have notified her ASAP if there was a problem, then her me, but since there was no urgency, my tests just crawled through the system with all the other negative results.

So, if you have been waiting a wee while for the GP to contact you, probably means everything is fine, and they haven't found a problem with your results.

If the doc had info about your results, he/she would have to inform you so don't worry about them withholding info.

Sounds to me that you have probably just come down with one of those common lingering viruses, theres a lot of it about (in the UK, but nothing to do with Bernard Mathews), headaches, cold symptoms etc, and its just helping to play on your anxiety.

Hope you feel better soon.

Jaco45er

Jem27
10-02-07, 09:48
Thanks J, Nothing to do with bernard matthews, hahahaha. Well ive stopped eating chicken and eggs for now, haha.

I rung for my results on monday, had my bloods done friday morning and all was ok aparently.

Maybe i do just have a nasty virus I can't shake off.

THanks.

anxious
10-02-07, 09:55
Hi Jem,

try just concentrating on the fact that you are run down with a cold etc and look after yourself. With health anxiety you always think its something worse (usually the worse thing you can possibly imagine). You sound like you have a lot on your plate as it is (i have 3 kids also) and with your mind running wild you are only making things even harder.
Doctors won't keep anything from you, however well they know you.
If it helps, i lost my partner to brain cancer and he never had headaches or dizziness.
(((((hugs))))))
love anx x

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

Jem27
10-02-07, 09:58
Thank you anxious.

I am sorry, you must think im so insensitive with my worries.

I am just feeling so tired and lightheaded lately that I keep thinking i must have something nasty going on. My children are all full of cold lately but I don't normally pick these things up so thats why im worrying. I hate feeling so dizzy.

Thank you.

anxious
10-02-07, 10:04
Hi Jem,

i don't think you insensitive at all. The first thing i did after he died was convince myself i had it too!!

anx x

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

Jem27
10-02-07, 10:09
I am sorry.

Everytime im lightheaded or get headaches for a long period I worry ive a tumour or bleed on the brain. If I feel tired out then I think it must be cancer of some sort.

I am lightheaded because of how tired I am, there is no way im this tired from broken sleep, I know 3 kids do not help when they wake u at night but im use to it, it must be this virus thats zapping my energy.

nomorepanic
10-02-07, 15:04
Jem

Get yourself dosed up on vitamins.

I am on Vit C, Garlic, Zinc and Omega 3,6 & 9 and not had a cold since starting on them

Seems to really help.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Jem27
10-02-07, 15:13
I shall dose myself up abit more, I do take vitamins and enchinicea (sp) but im still run down.

Thanks.

lass
12-02-07, 18:57
Hi Jem,

How are you feeling now?

When I get the blood test results through at work, they are actually highlighted when they are outside of normal range, so docs can instantly see if something is high or low.

I've been reading your other posts and I have low blood pressure myself. Once it was really low, I can't remember how low but I remember the nurse being shocked. But I'd gone first thing in the morning with nothing to eat or drink, and apparently it was that that had affected it.

So it does sound like you have a nasty virus, you're probably not feeling like eating or drinking much and therefore your blood pressure is low, this makes you feel even more lightheaded - then anxiety kicks in because you are worrying about your symptoms and that wipes you out even more. Virus's often come and go over a period of weeks before they are gone completely. I think you should get as much rest as you possibly can and try your best to convince yourself that it's nothing serious.

Hope you feel better very soon.

Caroline
xxx

Jem27
12-02-07, 20:07
Thanks hun, you've been so supportive recently, thanks so much.

I feel alot more reassured now, thank you. I have taken a sudafed and paracetamol and feel much better, headache still there but its starting to run out of me abit, lol!