PDA

View Full Version : Can mirtazapine cause diabetes?

Bonnibelle
14-09-15, 22:49
I've been struggling with fatigue for a while. My gp ran bloods and I'm heading towards hypothyroidism. I have low b12 and ferritin too. Today I saw my gp and told him lately I have a dry mouth alot too so he wanted to do a blood test this week to check for diabetes.

My urine was clear today but my step dad did a blood sugar test as he's diabetic and has the kit. My sugar was 9.2 at 4pm. This was 20 minutes after some sugary cereal and 2 oreos. My sister is a nurse and she said that's fine after eating.

I'm now dreading my bloods at the gp incase I have diabetes. I'm worried because I was sure a while ago I read mirt can affect blood sugar and diabetes. Can anyone reassure me here? I have no risk factors so I really shouldn't be diabetic.

hanshan
15-09-15, 09:58
Hi Bonnibelle,

I did a check on the web, and the only link I can find between mirtazapine and diabetes is via weight gain, ie increased weight into the overweight area is associated with diabetes.

Has your weight increased while taking mirtazapine, and if so moved you over the BMI 25 level? If not, you shouldn't worry about mirtazapine and diabetes.

karenp
15-09-15, 11:18
I took it for 8 months but never had any probs with blood sugar. It just didn't work for me at all so I came off.

Bonnibelle
15-09-15, 13:17
Thank you Hanshan,

I have gained about 20lbs on Mirtazapine over 2 years. I am 8 stone 6. I was very underweight before i was on it.

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Thank you Karen, that's good to hear.

I took it for 8 months but never had any probs with blood sugar. It just didn't work for me at all so I came off.

hanshan
16-09-15, 12:33
Hi Bonnibelle,

If your weight is in the normal range, then it seems unlikely that mirtazapine is a risk factor for diabetes.

Apart from that, anything is possible - there is nothing wrong with having a blood test every year or so, but some of the readings may come out abnormally high or low on the day with nothing really the matter.