PDA

View Full Version : Very worried...reactive arthritis or something else?

Dornish Red
14-09-15, 23:05
Hello everyone!
First of all, I apologize because this will probably be a long post, but I really have to tell this to someone because I feel terrible and don't really have anyone to talk about it in RL. I am sorry to see that so many of us suffer from health anxiety. I hope that everyone here gets better soon.
I am 23 years old, female. My health anxiety started a few months ago. I have always been a bit paranoid and suffered from anxiety.

So, few months ago I went to see a gynecologist for the first time. I had some problems for a long time but was scared to go and get diagnosed with something horrible so I avoided it for a looong time. Finally I went to get checked. Doctor said I had inflamed cervix, did a pap smear and give me some vaginal capsules. I had to wait for pap smear results for 6 weeks. Doctor said she will probably call me because I had a visible inflammation and that probably the result will be abnormal because of that, but she said not to worry too much, it's probably just inflammation. The treatment didn't help so I went back and had cervical swabs. My anxiety was TERRIBLE at that time, waiting for results, I was convinced I had cervical cancer because it has been years since my first sex, I was so mad at myself for being so irresponsible. Anyway, after weeks of agony, my pap smear came back fine, and cervical swabs showed that I had infection with bacteria Ureaplasma Urealyticum, that was causing my excessive discharge. I remember being so relieved and happy because it was nothing serious. When I remember that feeling now, I feel like crying, because I haven't felt relieved or calm for more than two months.

So I started to take antibiotics (doxycylcine) and then, once again, my agony began. I started to feel joint pain. In all my joints. Throbbing pain. Ankles, toes, fingers, wrists, shoulders. I felt pain in my hands and feet. My joints also started to produce cracking sounds a lot. I went to visit my boyfriend for a month and tried to just relax and not worry, because pain was very mild.When I came back, pain didn't went away. So I went to my doctor (GP). She was not working at the time,so I went to another one. At this point I started to feel pain all over my body, not just joints, but arms, legs, muscles. He didn't seem worried and did some blood test. Everything was fine except a slight aenemia, so he gave me iron supplements to take for 3 months. 2 weeks later my doctor came back from vacation so I went to visit her. I must say that at this point I was terribly worried. Googling didn't help. I was, and still am, extremely worried that I have bone cancer (because sometimes my bones hurt), leukemia or some other horrible diseases. Day before I went to see my doctor, I found a lump on my calf muscle. Of course, I immediately thought it was cancer. So I went to see her. She told me that I have reactive arthritis caused by ureaplasma. She said that's why my joints hurt. She looked at the lump on my leg and said not to worry, it was probably just a vein, and to come back only if it grows or turns red. So now every day I am obssesively checking it afraid that it will grow :( She also said that it's normal for young women to have slight aenemia, and I don't even have to take supplements.I must say I did blood tests about year and a half ago, and it also showed slight aenemia but my doctor said it was normal. So now, she said I have to treat the bacteria and that's it.

But, I am still very scared about joint/body pains. I am scared that I didn't explained my symptomes good enough. I feel like I didn't stress enough that I don't feel pain just in my joints, but in arms and legs as well. I cannot tell if this is muscle, bone pain, or both. My pains are still pretty mild. It is kind of a stabbing pain that doesn't last long.

So right now I am waiting to do my cervical swab again to see if bacteria is still here. My question for you guys is: are the symptomes I am feeling normal to reactive arthirits? I am so worried that it is something more. So, once again, my symptoms are these: mild pain/throbbing in joints (ankles, toes, wrists, fingers, shoulders, elbows) that change every day - one day some joints throbb, second day, some others, and so on-, also, I have stabbings and pain in my muscles (mostly thighs and upper arms), sometimes I feel like a mild ache in my bones in arms and legs, in specific spots,(I can't tell for sure what kind of ache is this, is kind of a discomfort in my bones, but I'm not sure), also sometimes I feel like my tendons are inflammed. I also still have excessive vaginal discharge. Also, crazy cracking sounds in all joints.

I am very anxious, cry every day, worried that I have something very serious that is not showing on my blood tests (CBC, CPR, sed rate) which were normal. I am also scared that the doctor didn't take me very seriously and that I didn't explain everything the way I should.
I know no one can give me diagnosis here, I am just curious if anyone experienced anything similar. I just want some kind words of reassurance because I feel like I am losing my life...I just worry, every day. I tell my boyfriend about my fears, but he just says I am crazy. I haven't said too much to my parents, my mom also has anxiety and I don't want to make her worry too much.

Problem is, there is not a single test to prove reactive arthritis. I only can wait to do a swab again and see if there is still bacteria, and hope that bacteria is causing all this. I am ashamed to go to my GP again because I know she will tell me to treat my infection and nothing more.
I can't live like this anymore, I feel like I am going crazy. I worry about every single little ache and discomfort in my body. I was not like this before. I don't want to be like this, but I can't help it. I am in constant fear, all the time. I can't study, I can't relax.

Sorry for the long post, I just had to tell this to someone. I hope someone can relate and just tell me everything is going to be okay.

Should I just wait and see if my problems go away with bacteria or go to my GP again? Should I be so worried?:weep:

daisyflower
20-09-15, 10:27
Hi. I have similar pains...infact, they sound identical. I'm 29 and mine started when I got some kind of flu virus. Unlike you, I'm scared to go the doctor as I'm terrified of being diagnosed with something bad. My pains feels like weird pinching in my joints or around my joints that last a few seconds...sometimes in my shin bones or arms and fingers too. Joints also feel kind of achy, it's strange. You should be reassured about your blood tests xx

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 ----------

How are you now? Has anyone else had anything like this to reassure us that it goes away?

sial72
20-09-15, 10:38
Hello everyone!
First of all, I apologize because this will probably be a long post, but I really have to tell this to someone because I feel terrible and don't really have anyone to talk about it in RL. I am sorry to see that so many of us suffer from health anxiety. I hope that everyone here gets better soon.
I am 23 years old, female. My health anxiety started a few months ago. I have always been a bit paranoid and suffered from anxiety.

So, few months ago I went to see a gynecologist for the first time. I had some problems for a long time but was scared to go and get diagnosed with something horrible so I avoided it for a looong time. Finally I went to get checked. Doctor said I had inflamed cervix, did a pap smear and give me some vaginal capsules. I had to wait for pap smear results for 6 weeks. Doctor said she will probably call me because I had a visible inflammation and that probably the result will be abnormal because of that, but she said not to worry too much, it's probably just inflammation. The treatment didn't help so I went back and had cervical swabs. My anxiety was TERRIBLE at that time, waiting for results, I was convinced I had cervical cancer because it has been years since my first sex, I was so mad at myself for being so irresponsible. Anyway, after weeks of agony, my pap smear came back fine, and cervical swabs showed that I had infection with bacteria Ureaplasma Urealyticum, that was causing my excessive discharge. I remember being so relieved and happy because it was nothing serious. When I remember that feeling now, I feel like crying, because I haven't felt relieved or calm for more than two months.

So I started to take antibiotics (doxycylcine) and then, once again, my agony began. I started to feel joint pain. In all my joints. Throbbing pain. Ankles, toes, fingers, wrists, shoulders. I felt pain in my hands and feet. My joints also started to produce cracking sounds a lot. I went to visit my boyfriend for a month and tried to just relax and not worry, because pain was very mild.When I came back, pain didn't went away. So I went to my doctor (GP). She was not working at the time,so I went to another one. At this point I started to feel pain all over my body, not just joints, but arms, legs, muscles. He didn't seem worried and did some blood test. Everything was fine except a slight aenemia, so he gave me iron supplements to take for 3 months. 2 weeks later my doctor came back from vacation so I went to visit her. I must say that at this point I was terribly worried. Googling didn't help. I was, and still am, extremely worried that I have bone cancer (because sometimes my bones hurt), leukemia or some other horrible diseases. Day before I went to see my doctor, I found a lump on my calf muscle. Of course, I immediately thought it was cancer. So I went to see her. She told me that I have reactive arthritis caused by ureaplasma. She said that's why my joints hurt. She looked at the lump on my leg and said not to worry, it was probably just a vein, and to come back only if it grows or turns red. So now every day I am obssesively checking it afraid that it will grow :( She also said that it's normal for young women to have slight aenemia, and I don't even have to take supplements.I must say I did blood tests about year and a half ago, and it also showed slight aenemia but my doctor said it was normal. So now, she said I have to treat the bacteria and that's it.

But, I am still very scared about joint/body pains. I am scared that I didn't explained my symptomes good enough. I feel like I didn't stress enough that I don't feel pain just in my joints, but in arms and legs as well. I cannot tell if this is muscle, bone pain, or both. My pains are still pretty mild. It is kind of a stabbing pain that doesn't last long.

So right now I am waiting to do my cervical swab again to see if bacteria is still here. My question for you guys is: are the symptomes I am feeling normal to reactive arthirits? I am so worried that it is something more. So, once again, my symptoms are these: mild pain/throbbing in joints (ankles, toes, wrists, fingers, shoulders, elbows) that change every day - one day some joints throbb, second day, some others, and so on-, also, I have stabbings and pain in my muscles (mostly thighs and upper arms), sometimes I feel like a mild ache in my bones in arms and legs, in specific spots,(I can't tell for sure what kind of ache is this, is kind of a discomfort in my bones, but I'm not sure), also sometimes I feel like my tendons are inflammed. I also still have excessive vaginal discharge. Also, crazy cracking sounds in all joints.

I am very anxious, cry every day, worried that I have something very serious that is not showing on my blood tests (CBC, CPR, sed rate) which were normal. I am also scared that the doctor didn't take me very seriously and that I didn't explain everything the way I should.
I know no one can give me diagnosis here, I am just curious if anyone experienced anything similar. I just want some kind words of reassurance because I feel like I am losing my life...I just worry, every day. I tell my boyfriend about my fears, but he just says I am crazy. I haven't said too much to my parents, my mom also has anxiety and I don't want to make her worry too much.

Problem is, there is not a single test to prove reactive arthritis. I only can wait to do a swab again and see if there is still bacteria, and hope that bacteria is causing all this. I am ashamed to go to my GP again because I know she will tell me to treat my infection and nothing more.
I can't live like this anymore, I feel like I am going crazy. I worry about every single little ache and discomfort in my body. I was not like this before. I don't want to be like this, but I can't help it. I am in constant fear, all the time. I can't study, I can't relax.

Sorry for the long post, I just had to tell this to someone. I hope someone can relate and just tell me everything is going to be okay.

Should I just wait and see if my problems go away with bacteria or go to my GP again? Should I be so worried?:weep:

Hello
I have had exactly what you have. Mine was a reaction to an antibiotic called Levofloxacin and apparently the symptoms are often mistaken for reactive arthritis. So I would suggest that you have a look to see if these can be side effects of the antibiotic you haven taken. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info xxx

Dornish Red
20-09-15, 15:56
Hi. I have similar pains...infact, they sound identical. I'm 29 and mine started when I got some kind of flu virus. Unlike you, I'm scared to go the doctor as I'm terrified of being diagnosed with something bad. My pains feels like weird pinching in my joints or around my joints that last a few seconds...sometimes in my shin bones or arms and fingers too. Joints also feel kind of achy, it's strange. You should be reassured about your blood tests xx

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 ----------

How are you now? Has anyone else had anything like this to reassure us that it goes away?

I am so sorry to hear that someone else has to go through the same problems.
Symptoms you describe sound exactly like what I am feeling. Reactive arthritis also can be started by a viral infection.
I waited for a long time to go to my GP, was very scared, but I guess I can take some reassurance that the tests I did were fine. I'm still very worried. Reactive arthritis should go away by itself after some time. I hope you get better, or at least find some courage to go to your doctor and maybe get some reassurance.
I am still feeling pretty much the same...my joints still throbb, have some discomfort and stiffnes in my arms and legs... Also few days ago my left wrist started to hurt when I move it (on the left side only). Feels like my ligament is strained, or something like that. So that's a new symptom. Trying to stay calm until I wait for my cervical swab and see if bacteria is still here.
Thank you very much for answering, hoping for both of us to feel better...

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

Hello
I have had exactly what you have. Mine was a reaction to an antibiotic called Levofloxacin and apparently the symptoms are often mistaken for reactive arthritis. So I would suggest that you have a look to see if these can be side effects of the antibiotic you haven taken. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info xxx

Thank you very much for answering, I will send you a PM xx

daisyflower
20-09-15, 16:11
I am so sorry to hear that someone else has to go through the same problems.
Symptoms you describe sound exactly like what I am feeling. Reactive arthritis also can be started by a viral infection.
I waited for a long time to go to my GP, was very scared, but I guess I can take some reassurance that the tests I did were fine. I'm still very worried. Reactive arthritis should go away by itself after some time. I hope you get better, or at least find some courage to go to your doctor and maybe get some reassurance.
I am still feeling pretty much the same...my joints still throbb, have some discomfort and stiffnes in my arms and legs... Also few days ago my left wrist started to hurt when I move it (on the left side only). Feels like my ligament is strained, or something like that. So that's a new symptom. Trying to stay calm until I wait for my cervical swab and see if bacteria is still here.
Thank you very much for answering, hoping for both of us to feel better...

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

Thank you very much for answering, I will send you a PM xx

That's exactly how I'm feeling...now I have it in my elbows. It doesn't hurt to use the joint but when I move my arm in a certain way, like to pick something off the floor, they hurt. Do you get random pinching pains, like someone pinches you on the finger bone for a couple of seconds? Then it moves to a completely different area, like opposite toe? So random!

Dornish Red
20-09-15, 16:18
That's exactly how I'm feeling...now I have it in my elbows. It doesn't hurt to use the joint but when I move my arm in a certain way, like to pick something off the floor, they hurt. Do you get random pinching pains, like someone pinches you on the finger bone for a couple of seconds? Then it moves to a completely different area, like opposite toe? So random!

Yes, my pain migrates a lot! Fingers, hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, knees, ankes, foot, toes. Sometimes I feel it even in my jaw. It's totally random.
Sometimes it's just pinching, sometimes it really throbs, sometimes the whole joint feel so stiff. And I also feel it in my shin bones sometimes. And my upper and lower arms. Ugh this is so crazy! And scary as hell... For how long have you been feeling it? For me it's been more than two months now...getting really tired of this.

daisyflower
20-09-15, 16:37
Yes, my pain migrates a lot! Fingers, hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, knees, ankes, foot, toes. Sometimes I feel it even in my jaw. It's totally random.
Sometimes it's just pinching, sometimes it really throbs, sometimes the whole joint feel so stiff. And I also feel it in my shin bones sometimes. And my upper and lower arms. Ugh this is so crazy! And scary as hell... For how long have you been feeling it? For me it's been more than two months now...getting really tired of this.

That sounds just the same as me! I've had it for 6/7 weeks. Besides it coming on when I had the flu, I was also really stressed about, like you were. I often wonder if my mind is making it worse as I can't help but think about it from the moment I wake up.

Dornish Red
20-09-15, 17:25
That sounds just the same as me! I've had it for 6/7 weeks. Besides it coming on when I had the flu, I was also really stressed about, like you were. I often wonder if my mind is making it worse as I can't help but think about it from the moment I wake up.

I know how you feel. I definitely feel like anxiety is making it worse. Because anxiety makes our whole bodies more tense.
My pains are the first thing I think about in the morning, and last before I fall asleep. I have some "good days" when I don't feel that much pain, and then I feel much better and keep my anxiety under control. But it takes one "bad day" and I feel horrible again, and worry a lot.
I try to use Google to my advantage, and look for experiences of people who had reactive arthritis and some of them describe something similar to what we have, and claim to be fine after some time. I have read that reactive arthritis usually goes away after 6 months. Not sure if I can handle another 4 months of this, though.
I feel so bad for both of us for having to go through this.

daisyflower
20-09-15, 17:59
I know how you feel. I definitely feel like anxiety is making it worse. Because anxiety makes our whole bodies more tense.
My pains are the first thing I think about in the morning, and last before I fall asleep. I have some "good days" when I don't feel that much pain, and then I feel much better and keep my anxiety under control. But it takes one "bad day" and I feel horrible again, and worry a lot.
I try to use Google to my advantage, and look for experiences of people who had reactive arthritis and some of them describe something similar to what we have, and claim to be fine after some time. I have read that reactive arthritis usually goes away after 6 months. Not sure if I can handle another 4 months of this, though.
I feel so bad for both of us for having to go through this.

6 months?! I was hoping it was usually weeks :( Surely some go sooner? I do find if I have a nice day that it doesn't seem as bad. Days at home (especially if I google) are the worst. I have a preschooler and a baby so I can't rest at all and picking them up all the time is not helping x

Dornish Red
20-09-15, 18:04
6 months?! I was hoping it was usually weeks :( Surely some go sooner? I do find if I have a nice day that it doesn't seem as bad. Days at home (especially if I google) are the worst. I have a preschooler and a baby so I can't rest at all and picking them up all the time is not helping x

6 months is usually maximum for most people, but everyone is different, some claim they were fine after 2-3 months. I don't know, really, I hope we don't have to struggle with this for so long.
Yes, days at home are the worst...I feel much better when I occupy my mind with something else. When I go out with friends and have some fun I forget my pain and don't feel it much. That's why I'm hoping some of it is caused by my anxiety, and I'm sure it's same for you x

daisyflower
20-09-15, 18:10
6 months is usually maximum for most people, but everyone is different, some claim they were fine after 2-3 months. I don't know, really, I hope we don't have to struggle with this for so long.
Yes, days at home are the worst...I feel much better when I occupy my mind with something else. When I go out with friends and have some fun I forget my pain and don't feel it much. That's why I'm hoping some of it is caused by my anxiety, and I'm sure it's same for you x

It sounds like it definitely is. I read something really interesting about how everyone has pain, every day. However, most pain is felt by the subconscious and the brain just ignores it as the person's brain isn't seeing it as a threat. As we are worried about our pains, we are feeling them constantly and aware of every little ache and pain and pinch we have. I know that if I think of one of my ankles/knees and pay attention to it, my leg starts to ache really badly.
I am struggling with worrying thoughts about it being something bad though as I haven't been the doctors so I have that to contend with. At least you know you are healthy, even if it is annoying and painful :(

MrRobot
03-02-16, 16:57
Hi Daisyflower and Hi Dornishred

How are you all doing? Are you still suffering from those achey arms, fingers, legs, joints in general? Did it really turn out to be some sort of arthritis or good old anxiety?
I'm suffering from a very smiliar thing right now, and I'm not sure if its health anxiety (new sufferer, 4 months) or if i should go to the doctor (again) just to be told its nothing. What helped for you and how are you coping these days?