PDA

View Full Version : alcohol for one night??

bekw89
16-09-15, 06:34
It's my partners birthda soon, and I'm holding a bit of a get together on Saturday. I haven't drank in about 2 months and not sure if I want to risk it. Will one night hurt? I am scared also as I am meant to be going on holiday the end of next week which is massive for me and again scared to jeperdise my recovery. But I am thinking maybe letting my hair down for one night could be good and make me feel like the old me for a bit.

Any suggestions?

sial72
16-09-15, 08:48
What is your issue with alcohol? Medication? Anxiety? Personally my anxiety was always 20000 times worse the day after so I gave up drinking all together, I can enjoy myself now without xxx

MyNameIsTerry
16-09-15, 09:03
This one is very individual, some people can tolerate it, some can't. I personally believe that a lot of it is due to the stage of recovery since at the beginning you can be so sensitised that anything from a high protein meal to vitamin B can result in anxiety.

I have drank on Citalopram after my GP agreed it was safe in moderation. I did overdo it and drank too much for about 4 night and was fine. BUT I had been recovering for a couple of years by then and was back and work and doing so many things I couldn't before. If I was at the bad stages, I expect my GP would have advised against it but not because of the med, because of me.

Citalopram has a moderate interaction warning if you look on Drugs.com. This means be careful. If it was a complete no-no it would have a major warning against it. The front page on there states to avoid alcohol but the interaction page is more detailed and explains the possible issues so I would go by this...besides GP's like mine wouldn't advise moderation being ok otherwise.

I would be careful if you drink. Start small and judge it. The side effects tend to be more the next day so if you go big, it could hit you. It's probbaly better to try a little and see how you are the next day, like an exposure structure. BUT with you being quite new on your meds and seeing recovery, If I were in your place I don't think I would be at this stage as it's too early in my opinion but it's purely your choice and you just need the facts.

bekw89
16-09-15, 10:27
Sial, the issue would be next day anxiety and the fear of feeling out of control.

Terry I think you are right, it is not worth the risk at all.

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

I guess I should be greatful that I can be out of bed and around people, that is good enough for me.

MyNameIsTerry
16-09-15, 11:15
You've got plenty of time, Bek. Getting better is the most important thing. It is about weighing up the risks here until you understand how it could affect you.

Starting small so that any side effects would be minimised would be a good idea. That way you won't have a wobble and start to question everything again. People on here who can't tolerate it have said it can mean a couple of bad days afterward. Sial will know more about this.

Fishmanpa
16-09-15, 13:38
My feelings about alcohol and anxiety are pretty well known. Why risk progress for the sake of a drink? As Sial said, you certainly can enjoy yourself without it.

Positive thoughts

PWO_Nathan
16-09-15, 17:59
I am on 30MG of mertazapine and find that if I have few drinks one night, my anxiety is sky high for 10-14 days afterwards so like the post above, I just find it isn't worth it.

bekw89
17-09-15, 00:19
All agreed not worth the risk and I don't really enjoy it anyway.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Fishmanpa
17-09-15, 00:59
All agreed not worth the risk and I don't really enjoy it anyway.

Thanks for the input everyone.

:yesyes: Have a great time!

Positive thoughts