PDA

View Full Version : From Xanax to Valium?

Ditapage
16-09-15, 07:33
Hi all,

Well I want OFF Xanax. It took panic away but I fear the addiction tendency and it makes fatigue worse. I don't handle the drowsy feeling well at all.

Doctor gave me Valium and told me to quit the Xanax. I've been taking half a 0.5mg tablet in the mornings not regularly and every night I would take the full 0.5mg because I was waking up nightly with panic attacks and the daytime tiredness was brutal.

Can I safely transition from Xanax to Valium? I'm scared of withdrawal effects of just quitting, or was I not on a high enough dose for long enough?

I've read Xanax is more addictive than Valium, is that correct?

I don't trust doctors so this is a nightmare. I didnt know my doctor had even prescribed a short course of Xanax because it's under the name "Kalma." I've read the horror stories about quitting Xanax and it can be fatal so I am terrified. Has anyone switched from Xanax to Valium?

karenp
16-09-15, 08:14
I was on Ativan for two years at a high dose and moved to Valium for a few weeks before totally quitting. You won't die! I've had a rough 5 weeks since I stopped but much easier than I expected and I am finally feeling almost normal again. As long as you are taking the same dose as the Xanax and come off slowly you will be fine though I stopped rapidly on my doctors orders and have been totally fine except for some heightened anxiety and not sleeping. But I am sleeping again now and only have nervousness first thing then go ok the rest of the day. Ignore horror stories as they will just work you up and it is super rare for some one to die especially when you are still taking a benzo. One thing I did find is Ativan kicked in right away but as Valium has a longer life it took longer to take effect. Good luck and you will be fine xxxx

ricardo
16-09-15, 09:01
Ditapage

I am on Xanax and it is at least twice as powerful as Valium,, which I was on previously.

Some of the guides are misleading as to what the equivalent dose is compared to another,so your doctor would be the best person to ask.

having said that both can become addictive.general advise is "take when needed".

Ditapage
16-09-15, 09:46
Thanks karen :) Do you mean you quit the Ativan and the Valium or you're still on the Valium? You're right about the horror stories, it has worked me up big time when I'm supposed to be reducing panic in every way possible. I'm scared to take the Valium instead of the Xanax tonight. I keep thinking I'll only be safe if I keep taking smaller and smaller doses of the Xanax as well as the Valium. The only consolation is I've had Valium before. It was the first med they ever gave me for my first panic attack that sent me to the ER as I had never heard of panic attacks and thought I was having a diabetic fit (though im not diabetic) I've used Valium a few times after that for social events and it was OK so I know my body isn't going to react poorly to it. I'm just terrified of not taking any more Xanax at all. I don't even know if I am addicted to Xanax - it's only been 18 days and I have only taken half the 0.5mg so I Haven't felt the need to up the dose . I hope that's a good sign.

Is 0.5mg Xanax, 5mg of Valium? Because that's what my doctor has given me.

Ricardo thanks for your reply. I had no clue how powerful Xanax was and I am mad at my doctor for prescrbing that and not Valium.

it terrifies me what this could be doing to my brain. I know meds are wonderful for a lot of people but I am fearful of them which frustrates my doctor to no end.

Would bad things happen if I just went off Xanax and didn't take the Valium at all? I used to just take a Valium when I felt SUPER panicky. I hate the idea of taking it daily now that I have a prescription. I know it works well taken when needed only.

Thanks for reading this... I am a nervous wreck. Like I said I don't trust my doctor and he's pushing the drugs and I have beat this anxiety before and just want to again. Im scared of drugs because my father is a heroin addict and also takes sleeping pills and other stuff and I hate my life having any parallels whatsoever to his.

My understanding is there's no getting off Xanax without replacing it :(

ricardo
16-09-15, 10:13
Ditapage

I wouldn't experiment with these benzos. I would suggest a definite plan on reducing one or the other or both with your doctor, or he might weigh up your situation and keep you on one or the other but at a prescribed daily dose. See what he/she says.

Ditapage
16-09-15, 11:19
Thanks again Ricardo. My doctor gave me the Valium and said I could just stop taking the Xanax. But I have been googling and it says to never just stop Xanax. But I've only been Taking it for 18 days - half 0.5mg and only the full 0.5 at night. My anxiety about the situation itself isn't helping! I am starting to feel sick with worry that my doctor is wrong about stopping Xanax completely and substituting it with the Valium.

Like I've said, I've had Valium before but never daily. I want to get off all drugs but if doctor said to replace the short-acting Xanax with the longer lasting Valium I should just do that as step one, right? It's not like I am going to get addicted to Valium in a few days. I just don't want to have any seizures :(

HaroldMorse
21-09-15, 11:44
Valium is used for muscle spasms, nervousness, anxiety problems and seizures.In my point of view Valium will be safe for you.

ricardo
21-09-15, 12:11
Thanks again Ricardo. My doctor gave me the Valium and said I could just stop taking the Xanax. But I have been googling and it says to never just stop Xanax. But I've only been Taking it for 18 days - half 0.5mg and only the full 0.5 at night. My anxiety about the situation itself isn't helping! I am starting to feel sick with worry that my doctor is wrong about stopping Xanax completely and substituting it with the Valium.

Like I've said, I've had Valium before but never daily. I want to get off all drugs but if doctor said to replace the short-acting Xanax with the longer lasting Valium I should just do that as step one, right? It's not like I am going to get addicted to Valium in a few days. I just don't want to have any seizures :(

You were on a very low dose of Xanax so I don't think you need to worry about coming off, if you were only on it for 18 days as opposed to months or years.