PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from a confident & outgoing person!

annnaa
16-09-15, 17:34
Hi! if you don't feel like reading a long story about social anxiety, you can skip the 1st part and go straight to the 2nd, starting at the welcome emoji (:welcome:)

So I'm anna and I suffer from social anxiety. i think i've always been a bit shy, but never scared to talk to people. it started when i went to another school. i was 12 and now i'm 14. in the beginning i always avoided stressful situations and i didn't care so much. when i turned 13 i started realizing something was up - i couldn't live anymore. i thought about suicide because it's the easiest way to end this. i started asking myself questions, searched the web for my symptoms (going brick red in front of a group, even when talking in a small group of 4 during a break). i cried more, because i was desperate. nobody knew and when i talked to someone, i felt myself bushing furiously, and i kept it short and ended the conversation awkwardly. People thought i was rude because i didn't want to talk to them.

now the new school year has started and i'm just fed up feeling this way! :mad: jesus, how am i ever going to be able to find a job if i'm scared to do a job interview? how am i ever going to make friends if i hate going out? how am i ever going to make an appointment at the hairdresser's if I CANNOT APPROACH ANOTHER HUMAN BEING?! i told my father. he's a lot like me. he said he could relate to me when he was younger. he was shy and kept a lot to himself. now he gives presentations every week and he's very confident. i'm not saying he was dealing with what i'm dealing with right now, but there is a way out, I think. I know suicide is easier, but i want to live, so i'm gonna work hard and do the best i can. :unsure:

:welcome: I just want some advice from a very confident & outgoing person. Someone's who is extravert and very good at making friends. someone's who doesn't give a damn about everyone else's thoughts.
i've got some situations that are very stressful to me and i'd like to know how an extravert deals with this. maybe it can help me!

1. so there's this 1 awkward & embarrassing moment, which happened in June. it was so embarrassing that i can't stop reliving it in my head. it was a sort of party at a friend of my parents' house. i told myself i wasn't going because i couldn't handle the stress. but my parents kept sending me these texts in which they said they were going to get me grounded if i didn't show up. the scary part was that everyone was already there so i had to enter a garden full of people. i started freaking out and i think i'd never had such a huge panic attack. but i did go anyway because i didn't want to let my parents down (again my parents probably thought i was being a typical stubborn and lazy teenager but NO!!!). i came in, went straight to my parents but they told me to go sit at the table were my sister was sitting, talking with her friends. i didn't dare refusing this, because i thought my parents would think i was too shy, so i got up to them, mumbled "hello" and sat down. i ate and was so quiet the entire time... it was very awkward. especially when i had finished eating. i just sat there doing nothing and being awkward. ugh.

So what would an extravert do? What would you do if you had to sit down with a group of strangers???? Do you just go for it and join the conversation or do you refuse to go and sit there? :weep:

2. when the teacher checks who's absent in class, he mostly does roll call. i used to freak out about just saying "here". now i'm pretending to be cool while i'm freaking out on the inside. AAAHHHH!!!!

How is that for an extravert?? I know it's stupid.... but very stressful though

3. why would a presentation make you nervous?? i used to think i was nervous for a presentation because of the same reason everyone else was. then i realized they were only nervous for the reaction of the teacher. how much grades would they get?? i don't care about my grades. as long as i'm not awkward, embarrassing myself or blushing, i'm happy.

Does a presentation make you nervous? And why??

4. At last, i would like to know if you've ever seen anyone blushing while they were giving a presentation, introduction, etc. Do you think it's funny? Do you think it's awkward?? This is SO the main reason why i'm blushing, i'm just scared people will see me in a way i don't want them to see me.

is it weird to be shy?? would you rather be friends with someone who talks much?? do you think shy people are boring??

Xx thanks so much!!!! Anna

venusbluejeans
16-09-15, 17:40
Hiya annnaa and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Annie0904
16-09-15, 17:42
Hi Anna, I think you will find this helpful http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=40

annnaa
16-09-15, 19:58
Hi, thank you for your response! Just would like to know if you used the modules yourself? Do they really help? I've just been searching the web for ways to get rid of social anxiety disorder/shyness since forever and I've never found anything helpful for free. Otherwise i can't wait to read it!!!

Xx anna