PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety affecting focus at work

jadedreams
16-09-15, 20:32
Hey everyone, I'm in a bit of a panic here. Have posted a few other threads under OCD and GAD & you guys have been great in replies with tips & coping skills.

Right now, I am still dealing with anxiety everyday (it ebbs and flows throughout the day). Mornings are usually hardest, evenings are a bit better. I am a computer analyst and really love my job & the people I work with. Problem I'm having is focusing when I am so anxious most of the day. I have to be able to think straight to do a lot of my work and it is so hard. The anxious & intrusive thoughts love to circle around my mind, causing me more fear and worry about not being able to concentrate on the task at hand. This has me worried for work, my performance is not my best - no one has said anything, but *I* am worried about it.

Any tips for help in concentrating at work? I would greatly appreciate it.

jadedreams
17-09-15, 15:26
Any thoughts guys? I would really appreciate it, I'm struggling with this issue a lot. Thanks..

meche
17-09-15, 15:53
Hi Jade - sorry you're having a tough time with work at the moment! I remember how that felt. When my anxiety was at it's highest my mind would race & my whole focus would be lost. Never good when you work with reconciling bank accounts!! Through all my anxiety issues though, I never once missed a day from work. I found a way of coping. I explained to a few colleagues that I was having a tough time and to be patient with me. Whenever I felt overwhelmed by it all I would take a few minutes out. I'd go for a walk or quite often I would shut myself in the toilet for 5-10 minutes and just breathe deeply to calm myself...... it really did work.
When I got home I would ensure my evenings were as relaxed as possible. This cycle of events lasted for months until gradually my anxiety lessoned. I still have 'off' days (at home & work) but I don't struggle with my anxiety anymore. It really will get better. Sending hugs. xx

Oosh
17-09-15, 16:06
Stay away from sugar.
Eat protein/Veg through day to keep mental clarity and eat your carbs later on to relax you in the evening and help you sleep.
Take high dose EPA/Fish oil. I try and take 2g EPA per day.
I find cardio clears up my thinking, even if it's just five hard minutes on an exercise bike a day. It's enough to clear out your blood stream and I find myself thinking clearer, enjoying stuff more and feeling more organised later. Maybe each morning before you start work ?

I actually fast now until mid afternoon everyday. I slow down when I eat so it makes me a lot more productive, keeps my head clear and is good for controlling weight.
As long as I refuel between mid aft and evening I'm fine for the half day fast the next day.

If you're going to snack through the day snack on protein, supposedly better for mental focus.

jadedreams
17-09-15, 21:44
Thanks Meche, the focus thing really does bug me and it actually makes my anxiety higher - it gives me worry I can't do my job! And that definitely doesn't help me calm down.. I will take your suggestions and definitely try them, I have told one person at work about my problems, not sure if I should tell anymore or not.

Oosh thank you too, I definitely have been neglecting my diet and exercise through all this. Hopefully some changes there will help me as well.